You may recall the many, many times before where I've told you that I don't celebrate Valentine's Day.
And it's not in the wear-all-black-and-curse-the-male-species way (why would it, I love my husband) but rather in the I'd-prefer-not-to-waste-my-money-on-silly-cards-and-flowers-when-I-already-tell-him-I-love-him-on-a-daily-basis way
A few days ago, one of my co-workers was talking to me about her V-Day plans with her husband. She was telling me about her dinner reservation, the expensive watch she bought him and how "he better get me something more then flowers or I'm gunna be real mad."
Then she stopped and said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. It must be really hard this time of year. You know, with Al so far away and all..."
"Actually, it's really hard all the time. One stupid day isn't any harder then the rest." I snipped at her. {In my head: And where the hell do you get off acting like you know anything about my relationship? You are not my friend. You are just an unhappy person who talks way too much.}
OK, so I was having a bad day. But the point was still valid.
It's just another Monday for us so I never get why people act the way they do about it.
Then, I hurt my roommate's feelings on Saturday when I saw her wrapping presents (THREE of them) in this foiled wrapping with pinks hearts all over it. She was excited and asked what I thought. I shrugged and said, "kinda cheesy, isn't it."
When I realized what I did, I apologized.
Even so, I realized something.
Just because I think the holiday is dumb doesn't mean I have to rain on everyone else's parade. If people want to walk around in a haze of love all weekend/day, that certainly doesn't hurt me.
So, when someone asked me today what my "big plans" were.
I laughed and said, "Oh, is that this today?"
{I know, I know, it wasn't great, but it was an improvement. Right?}
I have a web-cam date with Al tonight and we'll probably share a proverbial bottle of wine and play virtual card games. And OK, I guess I'll show him some boob or something.
It is, afterall, the day of love.
2 comments:
Ha ha! This is pretty much how I am every year. I do admit to buying OccDoc a yearly gift. Every year I buy him a money clip, so he can buy me things all year long! Just kidding, if I didn't he'd still be carrying around his old ratty wallet.
I love your remarks. I have been asked several times about my big plans.. all I can say is that I hope I get to talk to my love on skype. And then they go on and tell me about their big plans. Good for them! Celebrate. But for us Army s/o's, today is just another hard day of deployment.
Post a Comment