Wednesday, November 14, 2012

DIY: Striped Candles

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted a navy/white theme for decor in the kitchen. Mainly because the kitchen reno just doesn't feel like it will coordinate with brighter colors. I put this very simple tablescape together (if you can even call it that) and wanted to find some navy/white striped candles, inspired by these: 



Obviously, the price of these candles was out of the question. I found some at Target, but even those were more expensive than necessary, so I thought I'd make them myself. 
Here is the tutorial of that project:
Supplies
Small paintbrush (poly is best!)
Plain white candles
Navy blue acrylic paint
Thin painters tape
Total cost = $5
 Step one: create stripes with painters tape
 Step two: paint white spaces with acrylic paint (I needed two coats!)
Step three: Let dry for at least 4 hours (longer would have been better!)
 Step four: peel off tape
**At this point I noticed that the edges were jagged because the acrylic paint stuck to the tape. If I were to do this again (I probably will in a couple other colors) I would use spray paint for easier application and cleaner lines. 
 I was able, however, to scrape off much of the blue paint that had bled onto the white and once I did, the jaggedness of the lines didn't bother me too much. 
My new tablescape. Simple and clean. 
The project was super-cheap and really easy. With the exception of drying-time, it took less than 30 minutes. As I said, I would probably use different paint next time and let it dry a little longer. I plan on making some gold glitter striped candles for the table when I host Thanksgiving dinner!

1 comment:

Jen said...

SO cute!! I love them.