On Valentine's Day, I received a text from Al asking if I "wanted to come check out a dog." Now, this wasn't totally crazy - we had been talking about getting one for a while. We had not, however, decided on a breed or size or anything like that. Well, apparently earlier that day, Al became aware of a dog that needed a good home - the family was struggling to deal with a hyper 10-month-old puppy as well as two other dogs and their three kids. (Yikes!) In fact, the father was going to deploy this summer and the puppy was going to be too much when they were down to one parent. They told Al they wouldn't even charge us so long as we promised to give him a good home.
He came home with us that night.
He isn't at all what I expected to get. He's part lab, part Pitt (and full of all the piss and vinegar that implies) and is a full-grown, very active dog. On the flip side, he is already kenneled trained, housebroken, and responds to commands. Obviously, that will take some adjustment while he learns we are boss and gets used to his new home.
We are still deciding what his boundaries are: kennel at night or sleep in our room, couch or no couch, people food or dog food. I'm a pretty strict dog-momma (and Al is a total sucker.) It is surprisingly a pretty good indicator of the type of parents we are going to me. Which brings me to my next point: we have started calling each other momma and daddy. It was not a conscious decision but it happened. I will look at the dog and say, "Kramer, did dad feed you yet?" Of course, Al is the one who responds, but still...
Let's be brutally honest here - this is totally a no-baby-band-aid - so it makes sense that we've taken on the role of puppy-parents in total stride. I have never seen Al so happy.
Kramer took to his side instantly and still won't let him leave the room. Al takes him for a run every morning and other walks throughout the week. He has only been in our life for three days, but Al has become dog-dad-of-the-year.
My transition has been harder. I'm used to less-energetic dogs. I wanted a dog that was happy but calm and would get along with everyone. I wanted a medium-sized dog that couldn't overpower me. Kramer is a little crazier and much bigger than I wanted. But this dog is Al's side-kick (and my protector, I've already seen that response) and he's well-trained. I am working on patience and staying calm during the training process and he is responding with handshakes and wet kisses.
At the end of the day, he is a great dog. He is good for Al and great for our home. He stays out of trouble and wants nothing more than a piece of ham and to lay at our feet. Ultimately, Kramer is our family and he's certainly not going anywhere!



4 comments:
Awww yay!!!! Kramer looks like he is going to have an amazing life with you. :)
I'm so jealous you got a dog! Every now and then Phil and I talk about getting a dog again. But we can't really until we own a house (don't want to deal with rental + puppy). In fact, just yesterday, we were contemplating buying a house soon just so we could get a dog.
I, too, sometimes have a love-hate relationship with the dog. They can be so annoying. I always loved Big Margo, but some days she just drove me bonkers (and therefore spent a lot of time outside if it was a nice day).
Ah, he's so cute and you can totally tell Al's in love! Not that I should be giving dog rearing advice since you've met my little hellions, but whatever I'm totally going to.
I've put the dogs in their kennel/dog room at night since they were the size of pop cans. Best decision I have ever made - they love sleeping in their kennels and never whine or wake us up in the middle of the night trying to get into bed with us. The couch thing - yeah, no advice. Allison practically lives on the couch, but Marcello needs to be picked up to get on the couch. And growing up in a house where our family dog would beg and bard during family meals made me commit to not feeding the dogs people food. Our dogs are oblivious when we're eating; it's nice to not have a dog trying to stare you down for your food.
Good luck! And, yeah, we started calling each other mommy and daddy even before we were married when the dogs were little. Totally normal. Have you started 'talking' for the dog in conversations? Again, totally normal. I'm glad you could give Kramer a good home! I can't wait to meet him!
Can't wait to meet him! Oh yeah, and Al too. ;)
Post a Comment