Two weeks ago, I had the sheer pleasure of having a Skype date with the ever-so-lovely Kaye Putnam. She is the brain (and personality) behind The Successful Military Wife and she also advises business owners (with special focus on military spouse owners) on marketing their businesses for portability.
The fact that military spouses need help in business and careers is not new - this is a fight many of our leaders (and us) have been fighting for years. The way Kaye brings the information to the table, however, is quite remarkable. One of the best pieces of advice I've garnered from her site is that you can't just be "good" at business, you have a be a good and likable person too!
In fact, Kaye recently ran a three-part article discussing ways to be remarkably liked so people flock to your business.
{courtesy of Kaye}
And really, if you think about it, that makes perfect sense. If you are likable, interesting, charming, and even funny, you are going to make more friends, networking easier, and build a stronger base of support around you. Those are the components necessary to successful business.
When I first ran across her site, I felt compelled to connect with Kaye. I have always had a passion for encouraging spouses to pursue their education and career dreams and I knew I wanted to help her in any way I could. She emailed me back (almost instantly) and asked for an interview. I was thrilled.
And then I was nervous. What made me an expert in business? Certainly not the fact that I am slowly making my way through starting my own. Nor the fact that I went to law school and focused on business law. Those are just pieces of paper. Nevertheless, the Skype interview went swimingly (it helps when the interviewer is so delightful and puts you at ease immediately!)
Even after she excitedly sent me the link to the video, followed by "It's live" and a smiley-face emoticon, I was still nervous. How am I going to come off on this video? Will people think I know what the heck I'm talking about? Did I have anything in my teeth?
Please head over to The Successful Military Wife and let me know what you think. (I don't have anything in my teeth, I already checked!) Also make sure you take the time to check out the other amazing features on her site. Thank you, Kaye, for spear-heading an amazing business and for inviting me to be a part of it!
I hope that we can help other women to find the balance between pursuing their dreams and supporting their spouse all while navigating this crazy military life!


2 comments:
I love this, thank you so much for sharing. I know this can help so many spouses. :)
Great interview! Made me miss you all over again :)
Post a Comment