Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Official Pasttime

I have always been a hard-worker. I have also always been a procrastinator. I like being under pressure. I like deadlines. I like being over-booked. For some odd reason, it allows me to focus; to funnel my energy and to push through to a great result.

Procrastination has become a game. A lot like baseball. I come to bat, let a couple strikes go by and a ball or two. When I'm down in the count, that's when I whack it with everything I've got and effortlessly send it over the back fence. We all know thats much more exciting than a double on the first swing.

In Undergrad, when I was still an amateur, I was pulling all-nighters with No-Doz and coffee. I was sick all the time and rarely got more than 5 hours of sleep on any given night. I worked full-time and often went to work exhausted or ill.

As I've gotten older, and called up to the pros in law school, I've gotten better at time management. Even while still procrastinating. Honestly, I simply cannot deny myself sleep like I used to. Partially because I work out often, which forces a more standard sleep schedule. Secondly, I seem to have a better grasp on how to put things off to the last minute and still maintain a healthy life-style. (Healthier, at least.)

I'm not proud of myself yet. I'm still gloriously basking in the 5AM glow of a computer screen with a coffee-in-hand. I am still, bleary-eyed the morning of a big assignment. The difference: I get overall more sleep, better food and I simply don't let it affect me quite as much.

As I trek further through law school, I am learning better techniques and equipping myself with healthier ways to combat the procrastination funk. I don't want to combat it completely, however. As I said, I do my best work under pressure. I'm ready to step to the plate and knock it out of the park.

No comments: