Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Army Never Listens

Despite my loving plea in my last post, the Army has decided to keep Al an extra week.
Mind you, the only thing he's waiting for as of Wednesday next week is a dental exam.
Yep, a dental exam.

Last I checked dental care wasn't vital (and in the situations where it is, those guys can get checked right away.) Futhermore, we have dentists in Minnesota. We even have military dentists in Minnesota. Alas, the Army doesn't really care about these facts.

They apparently also don't care about time management. While they have 800 guys they want to receive said dental exams and only a couple of dentists who can do it, the exams span over 4 days. BUT, this doesn't include all the days of RIT where they have half-days or huge chunks of time in the middle of their day. Explain to me why these times aren't being filled with dental exams?

OK. So I'm totally aware of the need to keep RIT structured and detailed. I'm aware that they want all the guys to go through the same program and there needs to exist consistency in the order of these events. Finally, I also understand the importance of requiring ALL items to be completed before they send these guys on leave for a month.

Blah, blah, blah.

What about the need for the guys to see their families (especially the unmarried ones whose SO's aren't there to go home to?) What about the need for these guys to relax and decompress and de-stress? What about the need for a break from the monotonous structure and formality of the Army?

The final issue in this "keep-my-boyfriend-hostage debacle" is that they won't give him a pass for the 6-day holiday. Yes. Amidst all this vital RIT they go through, they are giving the guys a 6-day holiday for Labor Day. BUT, because of the demand of Al's job (and that the only other guy who can apparently do it is already on leave) he must stay for that weekend.
No exceptions!
(He's pulling all the possible strings he can to change this, but it is unlikely that will happen.)

This puts me at seeing him in two weeks. 15 days.
I guess in the grand scheme of things, 15 days is NOTHING compared to the 281 other days he was gone. 296 days is long time to be away from someone you love; especially someone you love with everything you've got. It's hard and I'm over it.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Ok. That sucks! Elequent, I know!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I know EXACTLY how that feels, I was in your shoes nearly exactly one year ago. I got impatient, called into work and drove to see him for three hours only to turn around and drive back home lol.
Keep your chin up, these days will probably seem like the longest but just keep remembering at least he's safe where he is now!
Tell him thanks for his service.

Jennifer said...

Um, that is retarded. And that's all I have to say about that.

Little Momma said...

Ridiculous... & like you said, if he really needed dental care, they would probably make him wait a good 2 weeks to get it. Grrr...

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

Ugh! I am so so sorry they are giving you both the darn run around. I remember when my husband returned home in Feb., they did the same type of thing. He was just waiting around forever and it took almost a week before they flew him home. It was the hardest waiting period from the whole deployment because I knew he was back in the states yet I couldn't get to him. I hope they straighten it all out very soon for you all!

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear all this! I'm sorry, that's all I can say. :(

Anonymous said...

Ugh, how frustrating! I'm sorry to hear about it and I hope that everything straightens out really soon!