Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Visiting Ft. Carson

You may remember that Al and I received PCS orders for Ft. Carson, CO. Since we are together (and only a 6-hour drive from Ft. Carson) for the summer, we thought we'd visit and check out the digs. We'd like to tour post, check out the surrounding neighborhoods and, of course, have some fun.

We're thinking of doing it over father's day weekend since Al gets a 3-day and we don't have to worry about any other obligations that weekend. Problem is: we're not really sure where to start. Actually, I'm not sure where to start. Al probably figures we'll just wing it and figure it out as we go. I'm not that flexible.

I'm reaching out to my lovely mil-spouses that are stationed at Ft. Carson.
I would love to know the basics: good off-post neighborhoods for living; the best restaurants and shopping; and what we need to know about Colorado Springs and Ft. Carson. If you could reply in the comment section, or send me an email (listed to the right) I would greatly appreciate that!

After all, that's what the mil-spouse community is for, right?!

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Colorado Springs is seriously like right outside of post and it is GORGEOUS there. Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods are two must see things there.

Jessica said...

We lived in Fountain, which is right outside of Gate 20. There are some rough spots, but it's mostly nice. We lived behind the Safeway. Johnny Carino's is an amazing place to eat. You should definitely check out Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. We never got to and regret it. All in all, it's a great place and we wouldn't mind going back there again.

Lou said...

well there are a lot of neighborhoods to check out...id say it just depends on if u want to havea apt or house.
for sight seeing id say, garden of the gods, cave of the winds, definatley go to manitou.
food: humm black bear restraunt is good, down town their is jake and tellys, the rustica, and so many more.. but those are my favs!

Lyzz said...

My friend Darlene (Creative, Crazy and Camoflauge) is from there .. I want to see pictures .. I am hoping to PCS there one day!

Jessica said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not yet, so justin case..

I have a friend here who is pretty familiar with the area. She is a realtor and her son is stationed there. Let me know if you want her info or want me to have her email/call you. I know she would love to help!

Jennifer said...

Everyone has already mentioned Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. You could also check out Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. The zoo is actually built INTO the mountain. It's so cool and the best part is the observation deck where you are literally face to face with the giraffes and can feed them. We LOVE going there!