I was a daddy's girl growing up - in every sense of the word. I played the sliding trombone, was on a wrestling team, and learned the game of baseball at the age of 5. All because my dad did those things. He always made me laugh, and was a source of spiritual support throughout my childhood. As I grew up, I developed my own personality and my own interests and left a lot of those previous interests behind, save one. My love of baseball is something that will bond my father and I for life. To this day, I can call him up and talk baseball stats, news, and players for hours. No matter where I am, or how long it's been, baseball will bring us together. Baseball will keep us connected through miles and years, and baseball will always feel like home. I have my dad to thank for that.
I am blessed, in many ways, to have more than one father-figure in my life. Eight years ago, my mother remarried and my stepdad quickly became a significant person in my life. He taught my how to change a tire, how to shoot a gun, how to balance my budget, and provided me all the encouragement and butt-kicking I needed through college and law school. I am grateful for how he loves my mother and how, when he married her, he took my sister and I with it, no questions asked.
I am lucky to have two fathers, one genetic and one by marriage. I am lucky, because they both love me and support me, in different, but wonderful, ways. I am lucky, on Fathers Day, to have two men to look to as examples of fatherhood. I think that's pretty cool!
Happy Fathers Day, to my dad, my stepdad and all the other fathers out there.
1 comment:
Melissa,
Thanks for the tribute. I am very proud of your success and look forward to sharing our future together no matter how far we may live apart.
Dad
Post a Comment