Thursday, December 27, 2012

Almost the end. (Of the year, not the world)

As you can see, the world didn't end. In fact, it continues to spin on its axis, on its orbit around the sun. We got up on the 22nd and went about our days, loving on each other and enjoying the life we're blessed enough to have. Gratefully, we've got more time to soak up those moments, focus on what matters, and leave our mark on the world.

The world didn't end, but the year is going to.

Early this morning (sickeningly early) Al and I put the last few bags in the Budget truck and left for Colorado. The drive is a manageable 14 hours, so we should get home at a reasonable time this evening. Still, after we unload the truck, unpack the necessities, and find the energy to shove a few morsels of food down our gullets, I will be left with just enough energy to crawl upstairs and into my bed. Perhaps still in my jeans. And shoes.

When I wake up tomorrow, however, I start the "year-end wind-up" around the house. This year, that includes unpacking all the new boxes and getting organized. It also includes everything on this list.

My favorites (that I do every year):
1. Do a deep clean of your home.
I did this partially because I hate leaving for vacation and returning to a messy house. But also because it's a good thing to do at the end of the year,
4. Plan meals based on what's already in your fridge and pantry.
Want to hear a secret? We did not spend a single dollar on groceries for the month of December (and some of November), We made our year-end meal plan with the intention of eating anything that was left in our fridge from prior meals and to clear the pantry of soon-to-expire items. It was nice to have those extra funds go to things other than Safeway.
7. Clean out receipts to prepare for taxes. 
For me, this also includes a whole wallet clean-out and recording all year-end expenses.
20. Complete unfinished home projects
This does not mean starting new projects, but rather touching up the paint on a previous project, cleaning out the garage mess, and prepping spaces for the new year. That way, when the time and budget comes, the new projects can start!

Use the last few days of 2012 to wind up the year strong and productive. Hope this list gave you some great ideas on how to do that!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I absolutely love deep cleaning!! It makes me happy. :)