Monday, April 8, 2013

Troopswap?

I was recently introduced to Troopswap when I attended the March spouse's club event.{Side note: I have only been once so I don't yet have an opinion on the group. I don't want to decide whether it's for me until I've spent a little more time with them.}

Have you heard of Troopswap? I'm sure you have - I'm behind on the times.

Well, after hearing that it was a Groupon-type site devoted to military personnel and their families and that 10% of their proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior Project, I thought I'd go check it out.

I created a username and password and was routed to a place to verify our military service. They asked for personal information on me and Al in order to verify that we are in fact military (which included part of our social and linking to our USAA account.) I haven't continued with the registration because I'm sure if I want to give that info.

For one, it's not really mine to give. It's Al's. And I can tell you that he won't want me linking our bank account to this site. Two, I am rarely comfortable putting that info on the internet as it is.

Granted, I understand why they require it. And I appreciate that they are keeping it as a military-only benefit, but I'm just not sure... They also have the ability to link your military records or to scan in a copy of a military ID. Again, though, much of the information is quite personal and not something I want on a somewhat public forum. The final option is to link using a .mil email address - which I am much more comfortable with - but I don't think Al will like that much either.

Before I go any farther, I would like to know:
Has anyone joined Troopswap?  Which verification method did you use? 
Did you find it worth the additional information?

3 comments:

ines said...

I joined when it started coming out, but haven't used it because we live in the middle of nowhere and those deals are for well populated areas. I think once we move to San Diego I will rejoin. But, like you, I was a bit skeptical in linking our USAA account. Its more that they want to know you are military, however, its still an account.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this, i know several people who have registered, i believe they all used a .mil email

if Al isn't comfortable using his, you can get your own .mil email, he just has to sponsor you. I've used mine for things such as US Standard Issue and the like. So far I've had zero issues with it, they just want it to make sure you're not lying.

I brought this site up to kent a couple days ago, and he said it was legit.

JG said...

Hmm. Weird. Had anyone in the spouse club done it for more than a few months?