Monday, January 27, 2014

8 Things I've Learned About Pregnancy So Far

I am now 32-weeks pregnant. 7 months. Only 8 weeks (or so) to go!
Supposedly, during the third trimester my comfort goes down, my belly grows out, and I can expect a heightened level of anxiousness over the arrival of our little lady. It seems fitting, then, to review what I've learned so far about pregnancy...

1. It really does affect every little part of your body. 
In many ways, that's an amazingly cool thing. In others it flat out sucks. I love watching my belly grow and feeling the kicks and flips she's doing in my stomach. My skin and hair are the healthiest they've ever been.  On the other hand, my back hurts, I get random charlie horses, and I go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME. I could also do without the extra line of hair around my belly button and stretching, itchy skin.

2. Specifically, boobs go crazy during pregnancy.
I wasn't small chested prior to pregnancy, but my breasts are out of control. They are already two whole sizes larger than pre-pregnancy and rumored to go up at least one more size to accommodate breast-feeding. They leak, they hurt, and they're shaped really weird. And ultimately, no amount of bras or shirts are ideal for the hot-chest-mess I'm experiencing. 

3. Sleeping is a never-ending battle.  
For the most part, I sleep just fine. But if I spend too much time on one side, my hips hurt. I use a body pillow to help relieve the hip strain, but there's nothing I can do about my stiff neck and awkward arms when I sleep on my side. Forget sleeping on my back (which "they" don't recommend anyway.) All I can say is once this little girl joins us, I'm looking forward to celebrating with a nice stomach-sleep!

4. Pregnancy can be creepy and weird. 
I don't think people want to associate negative terms with pregnancy. After all it is a truly beautiful experience. But, the plain and simple truth is that sometimes it really is creepy too. Like when you look down and see the outline of a foot firmly pressed against your belly wall. 

5. People are especially confused by pregnant ladies who work.
Just prior to Christmas, I took my leave from the gymnastics gym. I was about to cross into my third trimester and I was getting tired of the long days and physical demands of coaching. Even before I left, though, people were constantly perplexed by the fact that I was still working there. Even now, I spend most of time sitting at my desk and writing motions, but have a caseload that requires me to be in court at least once per week. My clients, and even other attorneys, are constantly asking me "why are you still working?" and "Aren't you really tired?" Of course I'm tired, but I love my job and I want to work so long as I'm physically able. Usually, I respond with a smile and a polite, "I feel great!" 

6. Maternity clothes still have a long way to go.
If you're independently wealthy, of course, there are plenty of stylish and beautiful options for maternity-wear. If you're like the rest of us, maternity clothes are just short of awful. Especially in a professional field where suits and office-wear are required. Most of the clothing companies went out and created maternity clothing lines made of leggings and stretchy t-shirts, completely ignoring working ladies and those who want simply want less frump. Leggings and tees are wonderful, but they're not going to cut it. And frankly, I like to look nice, even on the weekends when I'm just running to the grocery store. 

7. The simple pleasures are vital.
I treasure my allotted one cup of coffee per day. I cherish a nice, hot bubble bath every now and then. And I still get my nails done every two weeks. I have really cut back on a vast majority of things I previously enjoyed (like that third and fourth cup of coffee), but I still keep a moderate amount of luxury so I can feel like a normal human being whenever possible.

8. I don't have to be a super-hero, but I don't have to be scared either.
I had no idea what to expect with pregnancy. I still have no idea what child birth will be like. But I do know this: women have been doing this for centuries. Women are meant to do this. Our bodies, our brains, our hearts are all designed to be pregnant, deliver babies, and most importantly, be mothers. It's okay that I am tired ALL. THE. TIME and it's okay that I am already letting some things go that I swore "I'd never do..." It's also okay that I have no intention of "saving the earth" by cloth diapering or making my own diaper wipes. Finally, whether my body is prepared to deliver my sweet girl without medical intervention or whether I choose medical assistance to help me along, I will have a baby in March - and she'll probably be fine either way! 

4 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe you are already so close! Time is definitely flying by.

JG said...

I've given myself one cup of coffee a day, too, because you just have to to survive. (And I'm sure you REALLY do!)

I totally hear you on the maternity clothes. Frump city. And I'm not the most fashion-forward person, but I really don't want my best option to be maxi dresses for the next 5 months.

JG said...

I also am jealous at all the activity you can feel. This morning when the nurse was taking the heartbeat she said she registered a kick right at the wand. "Oh, didn't you feel it?" No. :( Soon enough, I'm sure. Well, soon, not soon enough.

erika said...

Yes to all of the above. :)