Yesterday morning I was checking my email and sipping my coffee per my typical morning routine. I reached for something, my hand bumped the cup of coffee and it spilled.
All. Over. My. Laptop.
I shouted a few expletives, ran for a towel and immediately started wiping off the computer. It was still on like nothing happened I thought I might have lucked out by getting to it right away.
And then it shut off.
It made a very gruesome noise in the process.
I spent the next hour blowing coffee out of the keyboard with a compressed air can. When I went to prop it up at an angle, coffee poured out of the side of the laptop. I knew I was f*ked.
I was primarily concerned with getting my class notes and documents off of the hard-drive before I lost it forever to the black-hole of cyber information. My first step was the school IT department because it would be free. If they couldn't help me, I'd try a paid services (like the Geek Squad.) The gentleman in my school IT department worked on it for hours and when I went there after class he had good news and bad news:
The bad news: the computer is fried. The whole inside was covered in coffee when he opened it up. Even after drying out, the computer won't even power on.
The good news: he retrieved all of my notes, docs, photos, etc...and dumped it on to my external passport hard-drive.
{I know what you're thinking...If she owns an external hard-drive already, why wasn't she backing up and therefore saving herself this panic from the beginning? I have no answer for you. I can say that it's a lesson you only learn once.}
I went to my classes yesterday without a computer, which really wasn't a big deal anyway. We have a laptop ban in one class already (the Constitutional Law department agreed on a "no laptop policy" for all students in their classes.) so it was only 3 hours of class I would normally have access anyway.
Nevertheless, I am about one month from finals and didn't want to get too behind by switching to hand notes, so I left work last night and went straight to buy a new laptop.
I am now the proud owner of an HP notebook. It's not as pretty as my Vaio, but it's lighter and faster. Oh, and it's not drenched in Godiva Pumpkin Spice coffee.
5 comments:
Wow! What a bad day! I once split Coke on my husband's laptop so I flipped it over real fast, dropping it on tile floor. Broken screen and liquid damage. Thankfully, it was still under a protection plan and they were able to fix it! I would've felt terrible if I ruined it!
Oh no! My laptop crashed and burned 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a replacement. Losing a laptop is never a good life lesson!
Yikes! I dumped a whole glass of wine on my Dell laptop a few years ago. Thankfully it was under warranty, and the place I took it to had me call dell and say my keyboard stopped working, so they sent me a replacement keyboard.
Glad that you have a shiny new laptop to get you through the end!
Oh my gosh I saw this on FB and just gasped and said "Oh no!" ha ha I've been there. I'm so glad your stuff got saved though.
Ahhhh this happened to me the day before spring finals 2L year. I had about 18 hours to buy a new computer, re-type my conlaw notes, create my 1 page cheat sheet (it was closed book!!! for a 4 credit class?!?!) and figure out how to use a Mac after years of PC use. I ended up getting an A on that final, hopefully this bodes well for you. I mean, the universe owes ya one now, right? :)
Post a Comment