Sunday, May 1, 2011

My thoughts

Our troops, particularly the special forces involved in that mission, are the true victors.
The true heroes. They, and they alone, are deserving of credit and respect.
Those forces, over there, giving so much of themselves, should be proud of their work today.
I am proud of them. I am proud to be an American.

And while I am proud, I cannot help but remember that this is simply a feather in the hat.
This is a morale boost and a moment of pride.
It is not a signal of the end.
It is not a sign that the troops can come home.
It does not mean the war is over.

In fact, the war may never be over. We will likely be involved in the Middle East for decades. Just like we still have forces in Korea and Germany.
We've killed one bad guy in a sea of many. We stopped one man, but not his entire empire.
We may have slowed them down, but they will keep going.

And knowing that we have troops over there making it just a little easier to sleep tonight...
Well, that's good enough for me.
No matter who is Commander-in-Chief...
No matter who the next president is, or the president after that, or the president after that... Our fighting force is the best around.
It is the men and women, with their resilience and resolve and courage that will continue to keep us safe.

They are proud of the work they've done and yet, they know the work is hardly over.
And while we celebrate the victory, they start another day and begin another mission.
While we go to bed tonight, feeling patriotic and inspired, they get up and do it all again.
For that I am grateful. For that I am proud.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Couldn't agree more! My facebook is filled with people saying, "Good, we can bring the troops home now." Um nope, not going to happen.

Ashley S. said...

I, too, have never been prouder to be an American. In my young life, this is the only war I have lived through, and I am so proud of the victory all those brave men and women claimed yesterday. I agree, our troops are the true victors. They are the ones who deserve the credit. No one else. I am so grateful for our military. May God continue to bless and keep all of them.

Lindsey and Co said...

Such a great day in history. But I must say, it wasnt our troops that caught and killed this evil man, but the CIA. Which are also hero's because they do the same work as our men and women in uniform. Love your patriotism, OORAH!

Jessica said...

I went to bed super early last night and woke up to this wonderful news. Good morning, America!!
I think SOME people who don't live this life everyday may be a little niave and not very aware of the full situation. Yes, I am ecstatic that he is dead (Not many people out there I could say that about.. ha!), I'm incredibly proud and humbled by our military, I know this was a huge accomplishment. BUT.. but I'm scared. I pray that there won't be retaliation. I pray that there won't be any threats of terror here. I'm worried about the safety of our soldiers.
I agree, I'm sure it is far from over. One victory at a time though, right?

P.S
See you soon :)