Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rocky Mountain High

You may recall that Al and I received PCS orders for Ft. Carson, CO in March.
Since we are spending the summer together and are only about 8 hours from Colorado, we thought we'd take a weekend trip up there to check it out.

We left Thursday around 4PM and hit the road.

The drive was mostly uneventful, until about the 4-hour mark. The sun had gone down and Al had mapped out a "short-cut." Well, it did cut 80 miles off our trip, but it was an adventure. Turns out to be a game of frogger with numerous deer and a very winding, narrow road tucked along the side of a mountain. If you swerve too much to miss the deer, you'll likely fly right off the cliff.

It caused some anxiety, but mostly laughter and in true fashion, we were both in laughing hysterics by the time it was all over. We checked into the hotel around 2 AM (after making amazing time) and settled down for bed. It was the hardest bed I've ever slept on in my life!

It was like sleeping on wood planks, even with all the blankets and comforter on. It was brutal. Al even said that the bed he slept on at the outpost in Iraq was more comfortable. Ick!

We had some business to take care of with our Realtor so we handled that right away on Friday. We also decided to do the entire trip on a dime, so instead of eating out and spending lots of money on a fancy hotel, we stayed at a small, extended stay with a kitchenette and bought $40 worth of groceries for breakfast and sandwiches. It was worth it because we were able to pay for all the sight-seeing and other adventures!

Friday, after meeting with the Realtor, we headed over to check out Ft. Carson. I was a little disappointed. In fact, while Colorado Springs is absolutely beautiful mixed with enough modern to be a great city, the post itself was pretty outdated and boring. They have been working on certain projects, but that mostly consists of improving housing which doesn't affect us because we'll be buying a house off-post.

It was a small let-down, but Al reminded me that it doesn't need to be spectacular as long as we love where we live and who we're there with. And he's totally right.
Post will serve its purpose as a place for Al to work in a city that we are just in love with.

Friday night, we went out for a nice 4-course dinner at an Italian restaurant near our hotel.

{Of course, I have no photos. I've been SO very bad at that recently. Honestly, we've done so many fun and interesting things this summer and I have no photos of any of it. My friends and family are going to think I'm lying about spending the summer in Texas with Al...ha!}

Saturday was our big outdoor exploration day.

{I recommend playing the song while looking at the pictures.
It really does make everything better!}

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

We checked out Manitou Springs & Miramont Castle...

(not my photo)

Cave of the Winds...

(click to enlarge the panoramic shot)

(Al took this photo with his camera phone - who knew he was such a photographer!)

Garden of the Gods...

...and finally, Seven Falls.

Afterwards, I was exhausted but happy.
I grew up in Minnesota where the weather has mood swings and even though I grew up in the city there is a lake every mile and everyone is a little "country." And I love it.

Then I threw everything in a car and moved across the country to the middle of the desert where it's dry and hot and no one is all that friendly. But I love the Army and I love my husband.

Colorado has both. It has the beautiful mountains, gorgeous summers and white Christmases. It has a nice city, great shopping and good people. It's also 10 hours closer to Minnesota then I am right now. And it has the Army and my husband. That's the best part!

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

I have a dear friend that lives in CO Springs, and I love visiting there! There are so many fun towns around, and so many fun things to do outdoors!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be able to hop on a plane for a weekend and come visit you!!