Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's a Bittersweet Symphony

The Army has done an awfully fantastic job of screwing over our last night together. We're both tired, angry and frankly, a little fed up by the complete disregard for my and Al's life. Really, you actually don't care that it's my last night in Texas? Really, Al has to work until midnight, take care of the issue again at 0300 and then still report for PT formation at 0500? Are you really sleeping in your cozy bed, next to your family while all this happens?

That said, we leave for Minnesota today. Hopefully, the cross-country drive won't be so bad now that we're both more sleep-deprived then we originally expected. I have to pull a couple things out of the car and re-pack them in a different way. I might (might - of course the Army might screw that up too) visit this October/November. If I do, I'll travel back with the few things I've left here so that Al doesn't have to move them to Colorado on his own.

I am SO excited to see my family and Minnesota friends. I am looking forward to having a little more familiarity around me. And I am looking forward to getting out of this godawful heat. But I am going to miss the friends I've made here (sooo much!) And I'm going to miss my husband something terrible. I might even miss the Army-life, but I haven't decided.

As I leave today, driving down open roads, I will be thinking of this song. The life I had this summer was wonderful, but the life waiting for me in Minnesota it great too. As such, a bittersweet symphony is playing in my head, and my heart, as I leave this place to return to another. Thank you, Texas - I'm coming home, Minnesota.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl I SO UNDERSTAND.

We have had a TERIBBLE summer with a ridiculous schedule of hubs bein underway :/ I bought tickets for a concert he wanted to go to (200 dollars mind you) and he was supposed to be off. Two days before the concert his masterchief called them all in to say they would be leaving the day before the concert and wouldnt be back for a few days???!!!!!! Then the chief asked if anyone had big plans that the schedule would ruin. Hubs told him about our concert date. . .response: Women come and go, devote yourself to your ship.


I had to go with a friend. . .to a concert for my husband