Do you ever feel like you have this problem? I certainly do. Admittedly, it's a self-induced problem, if it's even a problem at all. The sentiment stems from the idea that when one has too many choices, it is often difficult to make a decision. When one has too many clothes, it is an epic battle every morning to find that perfect outfit for today's events in the massive closet abyss.
Over the years, I developed a method to help cut down on the time I spend staring at my closet complaining that I have nothing to wear. For one, it's an unattractive quality to complain about what is actually a blessing. Two, there is no reason to make my mornings any more unbearable than they already are. Three, it annoys my husband who, in turn, threatens to throw it all away and leave no question as to what I will wear that day.
Today, I am going to share my strategy with you. It's not rocket science and it might not work for everyone, but I have found that a few simple steps can take that large closet and make it much less daunting.
1. Toss out what no longer belongs.
This will be the hardest part of the process. At least it was for me because I don't like parting with my clothes. It is, however, the most crucial step.
First, you want to purge all the items that are torn, stained, or ill-fitting. Try things on, even if you think you know how they look. Inspect the armpits and neckline for stains and make sure items have all their buttons and zippers. If you are handy with a sewing machine, set the mendable items aside but only if you know you will fix them within a month. If not, toss them.
If you are hanging on to clothing because you want to fit into them again (post-baby or weight loss) you can store them rather than get rid of them. Be realistic with what you keep, put them together in a linen box or plastic container, label it and put it on the top shelf or in the back corner on the floor.
Second, pull anything you have not worn in the past year. With the exception of formal dresses and other key pieces, you should not hang on to any item that you have not worn. If you didn't wear it last year, you are unlikely to wear it in the next - probably because it tugs funny or you don't feel good in it or it was a gift. Those are all reasons you should get rid of it.
This is a great opportunity to build up some karma (and tax deduction points) by bringing it to a thrift store. It also allows you to take stock of your closet and what items you might need to replace (a new, crisp, white shirt or a great pair of grey slacks.)
Finally, this is also a good time to pull any seasonal items. If you have the space, you should store winter items away in a garage or storage closet, labelled for easy access. Then switch them out with the summer items as necessary. Obviously many items are great for layering and even skirts can be winterized with a great pair of tights. But thick sweaters, bikinis, and shorts are easily designated as seasonal and can be stored accordingly.
This will be the hardest part of the process. At least it was for me because I don't like parting with my clothes. It is, however, the most crucial step.
First, you want to purge all the items that are torn, stained, or ill-fitting. Try things on, even if you think you know how they look. Inspect the armpits and neckline for stains and make sure items have all their buttons and zippers. If you are handy with a sewing machine, set the mendable items aside but only if you know you will fix them within a month. If not, toss them.
If you are hanging on to clothing because you want to fit into them again (post-baby or weight loss) you can store them rather than get rid of them. Be realistic with what you keep, put them together in a linen box or plastic container, label it and put it on the top shelf or in the back corner on the floor.
Second, pull anything you have not worn in the past year. With the exception of formal dresses and other key pieces, you should not hang on to any item that you have not worn. If you didn't wear it last year, you are unlikely to wear it in the next - probably because it tugs funny or you don't feel good in it or it was a gift. Those are all reasons you should get rid of it.
This is a great opportunity to build up some karma (and tax deduction points) by bringing it to a thrift store. It also allows you to take stock of your closet and what items you might need to replace (a new, crisp, white shirt or a great pair of grey slacks.)
Finally, this is also a good time to pull any seasonal items. If you have the space, you should store winter items away in a garage or storage closet, labelled for easy access. Then switch them out with the summer items as necessary. Obviously many items are great for layering and even skirts can be winterized with a great pair of tights. But thick sweaters, bikinis, and shorts are easily designated as seasonal and can be stored accordingly.
2. Keep it clutter free!
Once you have gotten rid of all those items, the next step is to organize the remaining items so that you can easily access them. For example, I organize my clothing my category (blazers, skirts, tops, etc...) and within that I organize by color. That way, when I go to pick out my clothes, I can easily pull out whatever I need.
The other part of this step is to organize your jewelry, belts, scarves, shoes and other accessories. Most often, the hardest part of picking my outfit is coordinating the accessories I wear with it. So having a great set of baskets, bins, and other containers helps to keep these items within reach.
You can see my full closet organization here. Check out my Pinterest for more great closet organization ideas!
Once you have gotten rid of all those items, the next step is to organize the remaining items so that you can easily access them. For example, I organize my clothing my category (blazers, skirts, tops, etc...) and within that I organize by color. That way, when I go to pick out my clothes, I can easily pull out whatever I need.
The other part of this step is to organize your jewelry, belts, scarves, shoes and other accessories. Most often, the hardest part of picking my outfit is coordinating the accessories I wear with it. So having a great set of baskets, bins, and other containers helps to keep these items within reach.
You can see my full closet organization here. Check out my Pinterest for more great closet organization ideas!
3. Plan outfits in advance
I have found that the best way to cut down on my morning getting dressed panic is to plan out my outfits in advance. This is especially helpful on weeks when you have specific events planned - like a dinner with friends or a business meeting.
When I am particularly busy, I will pull up my calendar while looking at my closet. I use this to focus myself to sections or pieces in the closet that will work for each day's events. I keep a row of hooks on my closet wall and hang up each outfit in order. I usually only do two or three days at a time to account for schedule or weather changes, but sometimes I will pull one additional outfit as back-up.
Let's face it, sometimes a gal's mood changes and I just don't want to wear a dress that day!
When I am particularly busy, I will pull up my calendar while looking at my closet. I use this to focus myself to sections or pieces in the closet that will work for each day's events. I keep a row of hooks on my closet wall and hang up each outfit in order. I usually only do two or three days at a time to account for schedule or weather changes, but sometimes I will pull one additional outfit as back-up.
Let's face it, sometimes a gal's mood changes and I just don't want to wear a dress that day!
4. Realize that you are beautiful no matter what you wear!
Seriously. In the grand scheme of things the outfit is only as good as your attitude anyway. If you feel pretty or confident or powerful or whatever you need to be that particular day, then you will look pretty or confident or powerful. A smile, a little lipgloss, and a lot of confidence will save any bad-outfit-day you may have. So, if all else fails, look in the mirror and tell yourself you're awesome and no one will notice your skirt!
Seriously. In the grand scheme of things the outfit is only as good as your attitude anyway. If you feel pretty or confident or powerful or whatever you need to be that particular day, then you will look pretty or confident or powerful. A smile, a little lipgloss, and a lot of confidence will save any bad-outfit-day you may have. So, if all else fails, look in the mirror and tell yourself you're awesome and no one will notice your skirt!
1 comment:
I don't have a lot of clothes, so my "nothing to wear" tends to center around the fact that I hate to go shopping and thus never actually have the right clothing for what I need it for. LOL!
But I love number 4. Sometimes, we all need to look in the mirror and remember that we look lovely simply because we are who we are. :) And no one is ever going to know that you fretted about your outfit before you arrived. :)
Post a Comment