A few months ago, I bought this gem at the auction for $5. The guts were perfect, it was overall clean and well-maintained. But it was ugly (and didn't match my black & white office theme.)
So I decided to paint it black. But not just any black - chalkboard paint black.
Coat 1 - Still splotchy in a few spots, but the paint goes on very easy and dried within 30 minutes.
Coat 2 - pulling the drawers out allowed me to paint edges and corners more easily. It also made the cabinet lighter when I carried it upstairs to my office later that day.
The can of paint is $15 and after this project (and one other small one) I still have 2/3 of the can. So, the total cost is approximately $7. The project took less than two hours, including dry time! Seriously, this was so easy!
The hardest part was, undoubtedly, finding chalk. I went to 7 stores. Yes, seven. Even Wal-mart was sold out, so I ended up finding it at Office Depot (and bought two boxes so I never have to look again!)
And, of course, my chalk writing needs some serious work. I see tons of pins and ladies who do a lot of chalkboard projects and they can do all sorts of beautiful lettering and designs. I doubt I'll have the time to really hone that skill. Whatever.
I love my new file cabinet. Next up: building a new file system complete with color coding and labels! Sounds like a great Christmas break project!
2 comments:
Love it!!! I have so been wanting to buy some chalkboard paint and go to town!!! Just to decide on what to do with it...
Super cute! Can you come make things for my house? ;)
Post a Comment