I joined the MSJDN (Military Spouse JD Network) before I had even completed law school. It is an amazing network of military spouses who also happen to be attorneys. The primary purpose of the organization is to initiate change in the registration and licensing requirements of attorneys to allow for more reciprocity for military spouses. As it stands, most states require an attorney to pass their bar exam as well as pay to receive their license in each state they wish to practice. I'm sure you can see the difficulty this poses for military spouses. Not only is licensing expensive and time-consuming, it often leaves the spouse with a very short period of time to practice in a given state before a PCS - thus making it even more difficult to get experience and build a client base - both vital to the practice of law.
I am lucky in that we are not going to face another PCS. I will be able to establish my business here in Colorado without the fear of moving again. Even in my case, however, there are complications. Eventually, I would like to move back to Minnesota and I would like my business to be as portable as possible when that happens. With the current licensing requirements, that would not be possible. Therefore, the mission of MSJDN is vital to my career and the hundreds (yes, there are that many of us) mil-spouse attorneys out there.
My personal involvement in MSJDN has been limited so far. I attended an event here at Ft. Carson as a representative of the MSJDN. After that event, I was asked to write an article about that experience and the organizations that assist military personnel with their legal matters. This month, when the newsletter came out I found my article on the FRONT PAGE! I was stoked that the topic (and my writing, I presume) was important enough to be on the front page of the newsletter. With my name in little black typeface just below it.
Even without that moment of personal pride, I am thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful organization, made up of so many fantastic, career-driven, and devoted milspouse I've ever met. Thank you, MSJDN, for some amazing opportunities and I cannot wait to be a part of many more in 2013!
1 comment:
That is amazing that you were published!! :) Very exciting.
Post a Comment