Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Time at the Academy

A few weeks ago, I was asked to represent my company at a Hiring our Heroes event at the Air Force Academy. {Side note: the Academy campus is gorgeous.  The event was a mentoring event for military spouses searching for work and I was asked to attend as a mentor. My role was to answer any questions the job-seekers had and help them navigate the career fair scheduled for the following day.

The event was Wednesday and it was, without a doubt, one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. First, to be considered knowledgeable enough to be a mentor was a major compliment. Second, it's no secret that I have a huge passion for empowering military spouses to pursue education and careers. Finally, I got to meet tons of wonderful spouses, employers, and significant community members - meaning I made friends and business contacts!

If you have the opportunity to attend, even if you are not a job-seeker, do it! The program, while practically brand new, has done phenomenal things for military spouse careers and they continue to be a leader in the jobs movement for spouses around the nation. Even as a mentor, I learned so much from the event and found myself soaking up the information and mingling the event offered. Here are the upcoming spouse events and they are all located on or near major military installations around the country. 

Seriously, go.

I'm grateful to MSJDN for telling me about the event many months ago, to my company for making the connection with event coordinators, and to my branch manager for believing in me enough to allow me this wonderful experience. I hope to build on these experiences and create meaningful, long-lasting relationships in the military and my community.

1 comment:

JG said...

What a cool opportunity!