(photo credit: BSF)
Today is Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
I've talked about the purpose of the day and its meaning previously. I've talked about what it means to me to be a military spouse. I've shared those feelings with you on numerous occasions. And they are still true.
But today is different. Today is special. Today is the last time I will celebrate May 10 as a military spouse. Last month, we entered our last year as a military family. We started down the homestretch towards our ETS date and have begun planning for our lives as a civilian family.
Looking toward that transition is bitter-sweet. We are so proud to be a military family. My husband loves serving his country and I love supporting that mission. We have met an amazing community of people, of family, really, who are impossible to replace. We have lived many places and experienced many things. All because the Army gave us the opportunity.
On the other hand, we have sacrificed a lot. We spent many years apart while I pursued my own path. We endured deployments, field trainings, and other separations. We encountered loss and said "see you later" to too many people. We had to adjust our goals, and plans, and timeline innumerable times.
While the sacrifice was undoubtedly worth it, it is time to shift the focus to us. To make Al's dreams, my career, starting a family, and regaining control over our life, a priority. It is time to be a little selfish and put "us" first for a change.
But even in walking away from the life in which we've grown so accustomed is sacrifice in itself. Al is allowing a younger soldier, with military career aspirations, to step up and take on a leadership role. He is allowing his position to be filled by someone who finds it better suited to their goals.
It is also a financial sacrifice. A unsettling (so scary!) move into something less secure and less constant. My business is still in the beginning phases and Al wants to return to school. We want to start a family and keep working on projects around the house. All of these things cost money at a time where we are walking away from a steady paycheck.
But reward takes risk. And security isn't everything. Happiness is.
Back to the reason for this post: I've only been in this life for 5 years (and a spouse for even less) and have encountered numerous women who have enriched my life, supported my dreams, and walked me through this crazy military world. You've let me cry, laugh, celebrate, and complain - and hopefully I've done the same for you! There are not enough words to describe how much this community of women means to me and how much I will miss it when I'm gone.
One thing is for certain, you are what I will miss the most about this life. So, on my last MSADay as an "official" spouse ('cause I know I'll get the honor forever,) I have one last thing to say:
Thank you. Your commitment is incomparable and your friendship, invaluable.

3 comments:
What an exciting time for you all, this new phase of your life will be wonderful. You are soooo appreciated! :)
:) Good luck with all of your future endeavors!
You definitely get the honor forever! :) So glad to have "met" you and so many other amazing girls because of this life.
Post a Comment