The title of this post is probably deceiving. Yes, we're nearing the end of the pregnancy - but that's not actually what this is about. In true military fashion, when change comes it comes in spades, and well, we're also nearing the end of our time in the Army.
Al has his CIF appointment today where he is handing in all of his Army-issued gear. He's already signed over his keys, his office, and all of his responsibilities. He's already gotten his ETS orders.
Guys, this is really real.
I thought as this date got closer I would be more nervous. We still haven't 100% locked down our health-care plan. We still don't know exactly how the income transition is going to effect us. And, frankly, Al still isn't sure what he wants to do after his time in military service. Many of the variables are still up in the air, but one this is certain: we are not doubting our decision.
I love being a military wife. I love watching my husband don his uniform (especially the class-A's). I love the places I've been and people I've met through our years in the Army. Mostly, though, I love saying that my family was a part of the bigger picture - that we did something for our fellow Americans that required a sacrifice bigger than ourselves.
But we are ready to move on. I am ready to take back control of my own calendar. I am ready to plan for the future knowing (to a larger degree at least) where I'm going to be and how I'm going to get there. Al is ready to be his own boss again and to be able to explore entrepreneurship and invention and creativity. Al is ready to be a dad and putting down roots for our children.
And ultimately, the Army just wasn't the place to pursue those dreams.
Now it's my turn. I get to put my career first. I get to build my passion into something that gives back to the world. And I get to do it while creating a family.
Right now our life is full of blessing and transition, which is both lovely and terrifying all at the same time. At the end of the day, though, there is light and promise in the future and I am so excited to see where we're headed next!
3 comments:
Wishing you all the best in this transition time. :)
Congrats!! And best of luck :) My fiance is ETS'ing this summer and I'm nervous but very excited!! Any tips you'd like to share about the process?
I'm so excited for you (and more than a little jealous!) I look forward to following you next journey!
Post a Comment