Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wedding Weekend: The Big Day

I get married TODAY!
(not my cake topper)

Sure, it's an untraditional cake-topper, but it's an untraditional wedding.
And as much as I'd love for every last one of you to be here to celebrate with me, that's just not possible. So, instead, I'm giving you a peek at our vows (part of them, anyway.)

As I mentioned, we didn't want this to be a super-traditional wedding, so we didn't have the traditional vows. We're not a "to have and to hold" couple and we're especially not an "honor and obey" couple.

We wanted to get more creative.
So we did.

In addition to writing each other a love-letter, which my pastor will read for the service, we were able to look through a book of more unique vows and adapt them to our style.

My favorite part of our vows:
"I promise to respect you as your own person,
with interests, desires, and needs as important as my own,
I promise to do my part,
to weather whatever storms lie ahead,
and joyously celebrate our triumphs.

I promise to love you,
In the only way I know how,
Completely and forever."

What I love even more is our ring exchange:
"This ring is a symbol of the strength and beauty of our love,
may it belong to your hand as my heart belongs to you,
separate yet close, simple yet miraculous."

My sister should be here any minute to start getting ready with me and help do my hair and makeup. Al is probably (dreadingly) putting on his class-A's and getting ready to join me at the church. And my mom is inevitably running around making sure everything is in it's place in true devoted-mother fashion.

All I can say is that I am truly, undoubtedly blessed. And currently walking on clouds.

9 comments:

Lou said...

Contests girl!!it's the big day! What beautiful words I got Teary eyed,enjoy it. I'm so happy for you

Michelle said...

I'm so happy for you two. Have a beautiful day!

Nicole said...

I am sending you a hug congratulations! I hope you have an absolutely beautiful and perfect day! And your vows definitely brought tears to me eyes, they are absolutely beautiful (especially the ring exchange, those words are so perfect!)

Jenifer said...

Have an AWESOME day! Enjoy every minute of it... it goes by so quik!

Little Momma said...

Congrats!!!

Radiant Readhead said...

yay!!!! congrats!!!! they are beautiful vows, and SOOOO true, i wish i had used the "weather whatever storms may come" for our vows, because this has rung sooooo true over the past year! HUGS....have a BLAST.....by the way, what are you doing on here on your wedding day!?!?!?! lol

Wild and Precious said...

Gorgeous!

I'm sending many blessings your way and warm wishes for a lifetime of happiness together!

Una said...

Congratulations! I hope you had a wonderful wonderful weekend!

Roller Coaster said...

Congratulations!!!!!