Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Christmas Quiz

We're returning for our time away today, but have so much to do before our dinner party tonight. I likely will not be able to blog until sometime tomorrow.
Until then, please enjoy The Christmas Quiz
(stolen from the lovely Chambanachik)

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Both! Separate, combined, I don't care. I love it all!

Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White. I think it's classy, simple, serene. I've always liked the idea of a big, gorgeous tree in the main room of the house and another "fun tree" in the basement living room for the kids to decorate with whatever they want.

Do you hang mistletoe?
I never have. That might be a great tradition to start once Al and I are finally celebrating Christmas in a home together.

When do you put your decorations up?
Traditionally, we do it Thanksgiving weekend, but in the past few years it has been a little later. In my own home, it will likely be part of Thanksgiving weekend.

What is your favorite holiday dish?
Portafina Jello. It's made with raspberry jello, cranberry sauce, pineapple and port wine. It has a yummy cream cheese frosting. My grandmother always made it growing up and after a few years she would make an extra batch just for me. When everyone is eating pie, I am having seconds or thirds of Portafina. When I turned 21, she passed the family recipe along to me and I have been in charge of bringing it ever since then.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
After Christmas Eve service, we would curl up on the couch with egg nog and cookies. We would read How the Grinch Stole Christmas and the Christmas story from the Bible. It was so simple, but one of my favorite memories to this day.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't exactly recall. At some point, I heard my parents milling about filling stockings and such. What I do remember is that I felt a special responsibility to make sure my sister never found out!

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Always. Since my parents are divorced, we always spend Christmas Eve with my dad and Christmas day with mom and family. When I have my own children, I would allow them to open one gift - a gift for the family to share (like a new game or a movie we can watch together) and we would spend C.E. celebrating that way.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
See above.
We always had store-bought fake trees. They were fun and did the job, but they were never as special as the big, real tree at Grandma's house. That will be a certainty when I grow up.

Snow! Love it or dread it?
I'm from Minnesota, when means aside from driving through a blizzard in traffic, I love a good snow. I think it is such an integral part of my entire life, that I could not imagine Christmas without snow.

What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Besides Portafina? (see above.) I don't eat cake or pie much at all, but I like cookies and chocolate. I would say my favorite dessert would be lefse.

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Too many to count: Christmas Eve-eve driving around to look at Christmas lights; Christmas Eve candlelight service at church; the sledding hill behind Grandma's house...

Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?
Take it or leave it. They're fun, but I wouldn't miss them.
Favorite Christmas movie?
Little Women. It's not really a Christmas movie, but it's close.

Saddest Christmas song?
Can a Christmas song even be sad?
I guess I would say "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." ha!

What is your favorite Christmas song?
There is no way I narrow that down to one song. My top five were reviewed over the last 5 days. A bonus: (a more modern one)
"All I Want for Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey

3 comments:

Michelle said...

A few years when I was growing up my mom did the whole two tree thing. Us kids got to put our crappy ornaments we made in school on the 'fun' tree. Then my mom decorated her tree in the front room (no kids were allowed in this room - it had cream couches). Her tree was filled with mauve, cream, and silver ornaments. Very fashionable in the 80's. LOL!

erika said...

That jello sounds right up my alley!

I'll Love You Forever said...

I have never tried that Jello before. I like the movie Little Women. I agree with the candy canes haha