Yesterday I shared with you my feelings on personal fitness and established a few goals for myself in upcoming months. As inspiration for myself (and possibly for you guys as well) I pulled together some of my favorite items for workout gear and clothing. How can you not work out in these super-cute duds?
As you know, I usually try to show budget-friendly pieces on my blog, but when it comes to workout gear, a splurge is often necessary. In the case of shoes, not buying high quality can actually lead to injury. And in my case, if I don't have a high-quality, supportive sports bra, I am going to be miserable during a workout.
Some of these pieces are still wallet-savvy, but some are definite splurges. Think of it this way: if you spend an extra $20-30 on something you're going to wear a few times per week, you're still getting a low cost-per-wear for the item than an everyday article of clothing.
Clothing:
Longsleeve Wicking Top
This is a more spendy item, but these tops are really unbeatable. I like long sleeves most of the time, unless I'm doing yoga. They feel light and not restrictive.
Longsleeve Workout Top
Thumb holes. Need I say more? Perfect for outdoor running in chillier temps. I am always yanking on my sleeves when I run and this will prevent them from riding up!
Compression Capris and Colorblock Cropped Yoga Pants
Most of the workouts I do require lots of flexibility. I don't like pant legs that restrict movement. I will put on long pants if I'm running outdoors when it's colder, but 90% of the time, I'm wearing cropped leggings. These are my two faves from Old Navy!
Shoes:
Puma "Takala" Sneaks
These are my favorite for coaching and for yoga because they have a lot of give. They allow me to point my toes and fully stretch, but they still provide some support. This is one of those pieces that cost a little more, but are totally worth it. I have owned mine for over 6 years (though, I should replace them soon!)
New Balance WT510
For running and more rigorous workouts, I stick to New Balance. I think running shoes are a personal preference, but I like something with grip so I can go from gravel to trail to treadmill. I also like dark shoes that can handle some dirt and grime.
Misc.:
Incredible VS Sports Bra
As a well-endowed lady, I need mucho support during workouts. Especially during high-intensity boxing or spin classes. This is one area I usually splurge on the expensive options simply because they last longer and make for a more comfortable workout.
Aeropostale Canvas Tote
I currently carry a canvas tote I thrifted for $2, but if I were in the market for brand-new, it would be this. Love the bright color and the fact that it will fit everything, but not take up too much room in my car/locker.
Other gear I carry:
As you know, I usually try to show budget-friendly pieces on my blog, but when it comes to workout gear, a splurge is often necessary. In the case of shoes, not buying high quality can actually lead to injury. And in my case, if I don't have a high-quality, supportive sports bra, I am going to be miserable during a workout.
Some of these pieces are still wallet-savvy, but some are definite splurges. Think of it this way: if you spend an extra $20-30 on something you're going to wear a few times per week, you're still getting a low cost-per-wear for the item than an everyday article of clothing.
Clothing:
Longsleeve Wicking Top
This is a more spendy item, but these tops are really unbeatable. I like long sleeves most of the time, unless I'm doing yoga. They feel light and not restrictive.
Longsleeve Workout Top
Thumb holes. Need I say more? Perfect for outdoor running in chillier temps. I am always yanking on my sleeves when I run and this will prevent them from riding up!
Compression Capris and Colorblock Cropped Yoga Pants
Most of the workouts I do require lots of flexibility. I don't like pant legs that restrict movement. I will put on long pants if I'm running outdoors when it's colder, but 90% of the time, I'm wearing cropped leggings. These are my two faves from Old Navy!
Shoes:
Puma "Takala" Sneaks
These are my favorite for coaching and for yoga because they have a lot of give. They allow me to point my toes and fully stretch, but they still provide some support. This is one of those pieces that cost a little more, but are totally worth it. I have owned mine for over 6 years (though, I should replace them soon!)
New Balance WT510
For running and more rigorous workouts, I stick to New Balance. I think running shoes are a personal preference, but I like something with grip so I can go from gravel to trail to treadmill. I also like dark shoes that can handle some dirt and grime.
Misc.:
Incredible VS Sports Bra
As a well-endowed lady, I need mucho support during workouts. Especially during high-intensity boxing or spin classes. This is one area I usually splurge on the expensive options simply because they last longer and make for a more comfortable workout.
Aeropostale Canvas Tote
I currently carry a canvas tote I thrifted for $2, but if I were in the market for brand-new, it would be this. Love the bright color and the fact that it will fit everything, but not take up too much room in my car/locker.
Other gear I carry:
- Yoga mat and yoga towel (I got mine cheap from Target); weight gloves; boxing gear - depending on which class or workout I plan to do. (Most of those things live in my trunk anyway, for easy access.)
- Key lock for gym lockers
- Small toiletry bag with dry shampoo, deoderant, and makeup essentials
- Arm band that holds my phone/iPod, keys and chapstick (things I want on my person when I'm on the treadmill or in class)
- Protein bar for post-workout snack and water-bottle
- Rubber flip flops (I hate icky gym floors while I'm changing!)
Rarely do I do the whole shower/get ready at the gym since A) I am so close to home and B) I plan my workouts around my schedule. When I used to go straight from the gym to work, I carried a full shower bag, makeup case and hair necessities. I am grateful to have more flexibility, because carrying all that stuff is seriously inconvenient.
What workout gear do you consider necessary? What is in your gym bag?







4 comments:
Necessary workout gear - that's a toughie. I think for the foreseeable future I'll be sticking to yoga and walking around my neighborhood and on local trails. So, I just need a water bottle, my iPod (which I store in my bra), and some decent shoes. If I'm going to yoga I bring my mat and my homemade yoga bag. I stuff my wristlet that contains phone, money, cards, etc. in there so I don't have to lug my purse everywhere and I can leave it at home. Of course I guess in the near future I'll have to be lugging a diaper bag and small human everywhere, so my wristlet might not be so useful...
I do Crossfit, so I have some special items I take with me. I have my wrist wraps for weightlifting, a neoprene knee brace for my bum knee, jump rope, tape for my hands (helps with blisters) and my Reebok Crossfit Nano 2.0 shoes. I also always have a bottle of water and a sweatband I wear on my wrist.
I love those capris you posted. they are cute!
Since I workout exclusively at home and behind closed doors, I have a hard time justifying (to myself) spending any money on workout clothes. SoldierMan has bought me some from time to time, but they're more, shall we say, for looking at rather than for actually doing things in? I'd love some cute clothes one day, maybe when he comes home and we actually GO to a gym again.
I work out at home, however I do like to have work out gear that is good yet affordable.
i normally venture out to the exchange to see if nike or under armour is on sale (that would be the only time i buy from those two). aside from that, i will go to old navy because i do find their athletic gear quiet good.
i definitely consider necessary breathable materials when working out and slight-fitted tops (fitted on the boob area without cleavage, if that makes any sense and loose from the boobs down) and comfortable shoes.
Post a Comment