Monday, March 25, 2013

Project Week: Kick-off and File Cabinet Organization

This week is going to be very busy for me. I am ramping up my day time with events and meetings and I am at the gym in the evenings twice as much as I normally am. As such, I decided this would be a great week to feature some projects I've completed around the house recently. They are all projects that can be done in a few short hours and (for the most part) use materials you have already laying around. 

Today, I am going to kick it off with an organization project I did in my office. You remember when I re-finished my file cabinet last fall? Well, at the time, I just threw my work files inside it and figured I would get to them "later." 
Last week, later finally came and I sat down (while watching a boring finance training video) to complete the project.

1. I pulled everything out of the cabinet and started making piles (as well as tossing unnecessary docs) 
The beginning. Stacks and stacks and stacks...

2. I then made a list of each pile of documents and created bigger categories
My list: 
1. Administrative (ORANGE)
2. Business Resources & Networking (BLUE)
3. Finance (PURPLE)
4. Legal (GREEN)
5. Volunteer & Memberships (PINK)

3. Then I made my labels, color-coded for main category and sub-category written-out

4. I then added the labels to the folders, clearly separating the main sections for ease-of use

5. Time to fill the files! 
Voila! Easy-peasy. The whole project took about two hours and the most tedious part was creating the categories. Every time I thought I was done, I'd find a new doc that needed to be added in. Now that I completed this project for my work-related documents, I want to go back and revamp my personal files using the same method. it is so much easier than simple alphabetization. 

Side note: I partially used this for inspiration, adapting the method to work for my needs. 

This is a great project for a grey day or when you're sick because you can get comfortable on your floor and get it done in mere hours. Have you done any organization recently that has made your life easier?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I organized the laundry/dog room this weekend. I don't think it made my life any easier, but it did make my life more beautiful. :) Plus, now I don't have to be greeted by little dog outfits and crazy leashes all mixed in with laundry supplies when I go to wash a load of clothes. But kudos for you and your files! I have a stack of paper I need to file - it's getting much too big for its hiding place.

ines said...

I LOVE organizing. I think its one of my biggest weaknesses. as far as filing, i just have it really simple (ie: bank, vehicles, etc). with every move i have gotten rid of a ton of things. most of my school items are on my hard drive, but some vital things that i didn't want to throw away are placed neatly in my little filing box.