So, I don't have a lot of time...One more final on Monday.
But in lieu of today's decision by President Obama to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell, I wanted to open my blog up for a free-speak on the topic.
I'm curious as to the general consensus on DADT, the repeal of it, and how this will affect the military. I'll leave this up for a couple days for everyone to give their opinion and then I will tell ya'll what I think/feel about it.
I have a few rules:
1) Be polite, respectful and appropriate. I will NOT tolerate disrespectful or rude comments. I will delete anything you say that attacks someone or is downright rude.
2) That said, I will NOT delete any other comments. I want this to be a "safe area" to speak on the topic. Whether I disagree or agree, I want to know what you have to say.
3) Please limit your discussion to DADT. I don't want to get too political on the topic, and hope we can come at this from a place of friendship with educated, respectful thoughts so we can all better understand each other.
Discuss.
6 comments:
Well, first I have no issues with the homosexual community. I have lots of friends that are gay or lesbian; went to prom with a gay friend (just for fun)... I believe they should be able to serve in the military, openly, marry and are entitled to all the benefits as their straight counterparts. With that being said, I have a problem with a political issue (the right to marry, ect) and politicians using the military as a way to further a political issue. You see if they allow gays to serve openly, they'll have to provide benefits (tricare, family housing, BAH, Deers, ID Cards, ect) to their children and "spouse". And if the military (Federal employee) recognizes and accepts the dependents, it's than furthered the liberal agenda.... It's frustrates me. We're 10 years into two wars (iraq of course pulling back) but I don't think now is the time to be shaking things up for the military. Right, wrong or indifferent I believe the mission will be effected.
On the other hand, there are already gays and lesbians serving in the military and they opted to serve knowing and understanding the current policy.....
It's definitely a complicated issue. My concern is how it will effect the military, the wars and so on and so forth- timing.
I think the repeal of DADT is a good thing. It's unfathomable to me that we would ask people to sacrifice their integrity in order to serve our country.
I also think our children and their children are going to look back on this and roll their eyes. Just like how we look at the racial segregation of the military and think, "Wow. They were just being racist. There's no reason soldiers of different skin colors can't serve together." I think our descendants will look at this and say, "They were just being homophobic."
My original thought was that it's wrong to change something like this in the middle of a war. I guess I still feel that way.
I had been thinking that the biggest issue is that if you allow gays to serve openly that opens up the possibility that they could have 'partners' serving together on the front line. Which would be distracting to say the least. I know that when I worked with my husband before we married, it was a distraction...why would this be different?
I also know that the love of my life would save me first and worry about everyone else second. Is that a concern here? I suppose it could already be happening(partners serving on the front line together)? Before being openly gay was ok, gay people found each other somehow right so not "asking" or "telling" is rather silly if you look at it that way!
I would say that I agree with Samantha about the political agenda here and that makes me angry...very angry.
Bottom line, no easy answers here but it seems like bad timing at the least!
Personally, I don't care if someone is homosexual. Homosexual people still have rights, and they should be allowed to do anything that a straight person can do. Who cares if a woman wants to marry another woman? Who cares of a man wants to marry another man? Who cares? It is no one's business what anyone does sexually behind closed doors (given it is consensual).
However, I think right now is not the right time to be changing things up. Timing is everything and knee deep in a war is not the time.
I wanted to post this, because I'm an idiot with pudgy fingers and deleted this instead of publishing (that's what I get for checking from my phone.) I personally think this is an especially valuable perspective on the issue and I wanted to make sure it for sure got published.
Kindle, if you're still reading, thank you for sharing!
Kindle has left a new comment on your post "DADT: Your thoughts?":
As a girl madly in love with a female soldier, I'm very happy about this.
How will it affect me and my girl? We can live our life normally, instead of having to duck and hide every step of the way.
How will it affect the military? About the same as when they officially gave African Americans the right to serve alongside white military personnel. Smooth transition.
How will it affect the United States? Next, gay partners will want full rights as a spouse, which will cause the Military to enforce the same rules they apply to straight couples. You must be married. With the military backing gay marriage, it will have to go through Congress. The "Defense" of Marriage act will be nullified, and -finally- I and my boo will no longer be second-class citizens.
:) At least, that's what happens in my overly-optimistic world.
I'm interested in hearing how others are reacting to the news.
Haha, Thank you for posting my comment. I had wondered what happened! I know that my situation in life and my opinions can be considered "controversial," and I'm grateful for the equal footing. So, again, thank you. :)
Post a Comment