Thursday, January 20, 2011

Migraines

My friend and I set up a "gym date" twice a week. I offered to pick her up so that I have the additional motivation to get up and go.

At 5:30am.

I don't do mornings well. And anything before 7 is unspeakably early.
But I thought it would get my blood flowing early in the day and keep me motivated throughout.

I have been struggling to get myself in bed earlier at night so I can wake up earlier in the mornings. I tend to stay up late reading or studying and therefore suffer through the mornings after my alarm goes off (usually multiple times.)

I'm already getting 5-6 hours of sleep each night.
I need to AT LEAST maintain that. Although, more would definitely be better.
The problem is that my schedule is just too full. I have so much on my plate that by the time I get home to even start my homework, it's 7pm or later.
Which is why I'm up until 2am.

Now add to the mix migraines.
I've always been susceptible to them when I get less sleep. If I go a couple nights in a row with 5-6 hours, I will most likely get a migraine which keeps me in bed for the morning.
Then I miss class or work or both. Which puts my day all out of whack.

So, last night when I knew I would up late studying, I text my friend to let her know that I would not be able to get up for the gym in the morning. I re-set my alarm for 7am instead.
And I STILL woke up with a migraine.
And missed going to the gym.
And missed class.

Clearly, something isn't working. I need to fix this, and I need to fix it NOW.

Here is my new plan -
I'll call it "PROJECT NO MORE MIGRAINE/NO MORE CRABBY-PANTS MELISSA" (Catchy, huh?)
  • It is my new mission to re-evaluate my schedule and figure out ways of increasing my sleep hours each night. Even one more hour or so would be plenty.
  • I need to revise my study schedule and look for some better ways of managing my time throughout the day so I can cap my studying at 11pm (or something.)
  • My new priorities will include a good night sleep and regular gym schedule
  • Once my military health care kicks in, go to a migraine specialist and see if there are other techniques I can use to help
  • Evaluate whether my job is valuable enough at this point to take up as much of my calendar as it does - Will I be served just as well by making my health, my grades and my classes a priority over a job that is not a long-term value?
This weekend, I will launch my NO MORE MIGRAINES plan so you can help keep me motivated.
At the very least, by saying it out loud, I'm requiring a higher level of commitment.
'Cause now the universe (and blog-o-sphere) know. I can't turn back now!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yuck, I hope you're able to figure out a schedule that will let you get enough sleep. If your job isn't of long-term value and you can get by without it, it might be better to keep your sanity and quit the job. Just my two cents =)

Michelle said...

Boo for migraines!

Anonymous said...

Please please please stop stretching yourself thin! Even in undergrad you would go 100 mph, pulling all-nighters to finish papers and projects then get sick and be MIA for 4 days. Pace yourself and always make time for "me" time.

My me time is a candle lit 30-minute shower (no matter what time of day/night), a leisure book to read in bed and taking long deep warm inhales of freshly brewed coffee with my eyes closed.

:)