In the course of a few short hours, I went from cursing the Army using all sorts of foul language, to jumping up and down with (happy) tears in my eyes.
He put in some extra hours to make sure there was NO reason for them to deny his pass home.
I didn't really want to book a hotel, finalize plans, etc...until we knew.
Not just sorta-Army-style plans, but real-deal for-sure plans.
After spending all day waiting for the CO to sign-off on the weekend, Al left work with no information. Actually, he was told that no passes would be signed until Wednesday or Thursday next week. (Yeah, two days before we're getting married.)
I was pissed.
It's mind-boggling to me that the greatest fighting force in the world can't plan one week ahead to grant a stupid 4-day weekend. It's equally amazing the amount of BS hoops these guys jump through just to take a day off. Because giving your entire existence to the cause isn't enough sacrifice to warrant a day off, apparently.
{I want to be fair and clarify that Al's unit has gone through quite a few changes recently on top of the fact that they have switched Al from unit to unit because of the particular job he does (which he does so very, very well.) Al's CO is actually a great guy and has been completely in Al's corner on this whole thing. Many of the problems have come from farther up the chain.}
After our first weekend getting cancelled for a stupid school (which he's not even signed up for anymore) and all the other BS, I was seeing red. Both Al and my mother heard an entire array of unladylike expletives exit my mouth throughout the afternoon.
When I got home from work, my roommates heard them too.
A couple hours later, I missed a call from Al because I was downstairs pouring myself a glass of wine (I DID mention I had a bad day, right?)
He then texts: Call me right now, it's important.
I think to myself: Great, more bad news. Thanks a lot motherf@#!ing Army.
I call him back and mumble: What?
Al: I have a signed pass.
Apparently his CO was too busy at work today, but brought it to a Hail and Farewell this evening and personally gave it to Al's Platoon Sergeant to make sure it was delivered accordingly.
Me: Baby, that's got to be the sexiest thing you've ever said to me.
So, ladies, it's Army official now. I'm getting married in 7 days.
To the hardest-working, handsomest...
(and most patient - poor guy, getting it from the Army AND from me!)
most amazing soldier I know.
8 comments:
AHHHH yay! I'm so happy for you!
YAY!!! OMG im glad it finnaly all got worked out, you have such a special fiance, working so hard. I am so happy its all working out for you guys!
Yayyyyy!! So excited for you both! :)
You're making your mama cry again! Love you!
congrats! can't wait to read about it!
YAYYYYYYYY I'm happy for you two and I um... We your readers expect pics from the wonderful day!
So happy for you!! The sad part is that the bullshit doesn't ever go away. You would think that when our guys aren't deployed life should be relatively easy for them. I mean they go for 6-12 deployments of pure stress and then come home to.. you guessed it.. stress.. it's so ridiculous! I have a love HATE relationship with the Marine Corps
I am so glad it worked out!!!!
Post a Comment