Monday, April 26, 2010

Anchors Away!

This is my wicked-awesome, sexy haircut the Navy gave me.

I have previously alluded to the fact that my military affiliations go beyond Al's service to this country. Although my personal experiences are nothing compared to his, I would like to think that all service-members provide something that allows the process to go on.

Shortly after I graduated college, I started training for the Navy, both physically and mentally. In April of 2008, I left for Navy OCS to become an officer. The plan was to complete the 16 week training program, start my initial contract and then transfer into the JAG Program to start law school.

Day 4 I fell on a run. It was 4:30 AM in a downpour and I slipped in a mud hole. I fell hard. I ended up with a deep tissue contusion on my knee. I fell out of my training class, and spent three weeks healing up while sitting in a dorm-size room. They encourage you to use this time to study and learn your "Orders of the Sentry" and ranks, as well as prepare all your uniforms to be within code. I didn't want to. I was angry.

I was mad that I was injured. I was mad that my class was going on without me. I was mostly mad that the people who doubted my ability to do it were right. But my injury was actually a really good thing. Not for the pain or the waiting, but for what happened while I was healing up. I met with a career counselor about my future Navy plans and discussed my desire to go to law school and become a JAG Attorney. He informed me that it would be years before the Navy would issue me a lateral transfer into the JAG program so I could go to law school. Which meant I was still 6-10 years from getting my law degree.

I requested permission to cancel my contract, leave the program and start the law school process. Don't get me wrong, it was a very difficult decision. I'm not a quitter and I certainly didn't want to leave the new friends I had made. On the other hand, I didn't want to put law school off that long. So I requested to go home.
To my surprise, it was granted and as soon as I was healed up, I headed home.

I loved my time there and I think about the alternative often. But I made the right choice. I am now finishing up my first year of law school - two years and a really difficult test away from my license to practice law. I have a letter of recommendation to return to training and join the Navy as a JAG attorney when I'm done. I'm not sure yet if that's in the cards, but it's nice to know the opportunity is available.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you noticed that all of the pictures of on the blog are taken from the same angle? Me thinks someone knows her best side...

Mel said...

Yes ma'am! :) I certainly do.