Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 2: Your First Love

I've actually told this story here.

But if I were to be more accurate, my first love was baseball.
When I was 3 and someone asked me what my name was, my answer was always
"Kiiiiiiiirbeeeee Pucketttttttttt"

Yep, apparently my name was not Melissa, but was actually Kirby Puckett. And I said it just like the TV announcers used to. It was cute until I was 10.
Kidding.

Later that same year (for my birthday) I waited in line with my parents to meet Kirby Puckett. To this day, we have a framed photo of us which hung behind my Opa's desk in Germany for 30 years. It now sits on display in their basement. And someday it will be mine.

I love the feel of the bat when you connect with a baseball. I love the smell of fresh grass and the noise of a ballpark. I love hot dogs and beer and Cracker Jacks. I love the whole game.

Baseball was my first love until my first love came along.

1 comment:

Wiley said...

Such an awesome post - you really put into words that indescribable attraction that is baseball. It's intoxicating, especially when it comes to represent childhood.

And Kirby Puckett was often said to be the nicest man in the big leagues :)