They say 'never say never' but I think sometimes it's OK to set boundaries for yourself and to decide when something just isn't your cup of tea.
1. Use Twitter. It's not that I have anything personal against the popular social media platform, I just decided that with the blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and many others, that I had enough of it in my life. I have to draw the line somewhere and hashtags sounded like a good place to do that! Plus, I'm not good at brevity.
2. Run a Marathon. I'm not a runner. Not even a little bit. I exercise for my physical health and for my emotional well-being, but I tend to stick to yoga, boxing, kick-boxing, and weight-lifting. Running bores me (and makes me want to vomit) so doing an entire 26-plus miles is just outside my realm of comprehension. Kudos to those of you who do, really, but I'll hand out water and cheer you to the finish line.
3. Have kids too far apart. I am 5 years older than my closest sibling and while we are very close now, it wasn't always that easy. We fought like crazy as kids - drawing blood, hair-pulling, physical fighting - and that took a long time to get through. I am 13, 16, and 23 years older than the rest of my siblings, so those relationships are much more complicated. As a result, I think there is a huge benefit to having kids close together. they learn from each other, protect each other, play together, etc...
{I'm aware that this is up to God and nature more than planning, but I'm still going to try!}
4. Leave home without chapstick. I've spoken before about my chapstick addiction. It is my makeup lifeline and I can't leave home without it.
5. Be a SAHM. I have immense respect for SAHMs. My Oma was her entire life, my step-mom is, and my mother was for my baby years. There is no doubt they work hard, sacrifice of themselves, and get s**t done! BUT, that is not the life for me. I want to be a mother, but I want a career too. I want a career that requires me to work out of the house, or at least partially. I want (need) non-kid interactions, intellectually stimulating work, and something just for me. Having that will make me a happier person, a loving wife, and a better mother.
6. DIY Cleaning Supplies. I see recipes on Pinterest all the time for DIY Windex and other cleaning products. I'm sure they're effective. I'm sure they're financially savvy. But, ultimately:
7. Read Twilight (or watch the movies). Be as shocked as you want to be, but I just don't see the allure. I will eventually read the Harry Potter series, and I'm sure I'll end up reading The Hunger Games some day. Twilight, on the other hand, doesn't have enough literary value to offset the silliness. The movies seem even worse to me and even I can't embrace the "fantasy" enough to see past the bad acting and weird premise.
8. Forget to Vote. It should be familiar to all of you that I am a huge voting advocate. It is an easy way to express your opinion, initiate change in your government, and do something about the stuff that pisses you off. So easy, in fact, that I will always make sure I'm there when poll-time comes around.
9. Cheat on my husband. For two reasons: 1) my husband and I have a very trusting and opne relationship. If I was unhappy, I would talk to him about it. Cheating accomplishes nothing and often hurts way too many people in the process. 2) I don't handle guilt well. In college, I kissed a guy at a party while I was in a relationship with another man. I felt so awful that I was sick to my stomach for two days, until I told my boyfriend. He forgave me and I was mad that he did. I felt as though I didn't deserve forgiveness for the horrible thing I had done - and it was just a kiss! I can only imagine how much worse I would feel cheating on my husband.
10. Eat black licorice. It's gross. It tastes like rubber feet and smells like plastic. Same for those black jelly beans. Ew!
3. Have kids too far apart. I am 5 years older than my closest sibling and while we are very close now, it wasn't always that easy. We fought like crazy as kids - drawing blood, hair-pulling, physical fighting - and that took a long time to get through. I am 13, 16, and 23 years older than the rest of my siblings, so those relationships are much more complicated. As a result, I think there is a huge benefit to having kids close together. they learn from each other, protect each other, play together, etc...
{I'm aware that this is up to God and nature more than planning, but I'm still going to try!}
4. Leave home without chapstick. I've spoken before about my chapstick addiction. It is my makeup lifeline and I can't leave home without it.
5. Be a SAHM. I have immense respect for SAHMs. My Oma was her entire life, my step-mom is, and my mother was for my baby years. There is no doubt they work hard, sacrifice of themselves, and get s**t done! BUT, that is not the life for me. I want to be a mother, but I want a career too. I want a career that requires me to work out of the house, or at least partially. I want (need) non-kid interactions, intellectually stimulating work, and something just for me. Having that will make me a happier person, a loving wife, and a better mother.
6. DIY Cleaning Supplies. I see recipes on Pinterest all the time for DIY Windex and other cleaning products. I'm sure they're effective. I'm sure they're financially savvy. But, ultimately:
7. Read Twilight (or watch the movies). Be as shocked as you want to be, but I just don't see the allure. I will eventually read the Harry Potter series, and I'm sure I'll end up reading The Hunger Games some day. Twilight, on the other hand, doesn't have enough literary value to offset the silliness. The movies seem even worse to me and even I can't embrace the "fantasy" enough to see past the bad acting and weird premise.
8. Forget to Vote. It should be familiar to all of you that I am a huge voting advocate. It is an easy way to express your opinion, initiate change in your government, and do something about the stuff that pisses you off. So easy, in fact, that I will always make sure I'm there when poll-time comes around.
9. Cheat on my husband. For two reasons: 1) my husband and I have a very trusting and opne relationship. If I was unhappy, I would talk to him about it. Cheating accomplishes nothing and often hurts way too many people in the process. 2) I don't handle guilt well. In college, I kissed a guy at a party while I was in a relationship with another man. I felt so awful that I was sick to my stomach for two days, until I told my boyfriend. He forgave me and I was mad that he did. I felt as though I didn't deserve forgiveness for the horrible thing I had done - and it was just a kiss! I can only imagine how much worse I would feel cheating on my husband.
10. Eat black licorice. It's gross. It tastes like rubber feet and smells like plastic. Same for those black jelly beans. Ew!

1 comment:
Great list! And I totally agree about the cleaners! I think that every time I see one of the recipes on Pinterest!
Post a Comment