Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

On this lovely Halloween, I wanted to share a great pumpkin recipe with y'all.

I know I've shared this before - but it's too much fun not to share again!
Me as Pippi Longstocking circa 1997

You will need: 
2 cups flour
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) 
1 pkg semisweet chocolate chips



Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 or 8x8 pan.
2. In medium bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. 
3. Cream butter and sugar in another bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add pumpkin puree and mix well. 
4. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. 
5. Spread evenly in pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. You will see the edges pull away and a toothpick will come out clean when the bars are fully cooked.

I found that it had the consistency of a spice bread more so than a bar and I also felt as though the chocolate overwhelmed the pumpkin. If I make these again, I would cut the chips down by a third and add a little more pie spice. They tasted great and actually fed us dessert for over two weeks! Serve warm with ice cream or chilled - both are yummy!

No comments: