Sunday, April 11, 2010

Army Wives


The new season (season 4) premiers tonight at 7. I will not be watching. But only because I don't have cable. I am forced to wait until Lifetime.com releases the episodes on Monday nights.

I love this show. Not because I'm naive enough to believe that it's realistic. Not because it ALWAYS gives me a good cry. Not even because there are good looking men in camo.
I love this show because it makes me feel at home.
Even in it's Hollywood-ized, no-grip-on-reality glory, it still reminds me that there are hundreds of women out there struggling with the same things I am. It reminds me that it might be a sucky life, but it's an amazingly beautiful one too!

Al rolls his eyes at me every time I watch this show, Kleenex box in hand. He'll never admit that he likes the show, but he has seen it. He scoffs and laughs and regularly tells me how stupid it is. But I don't care; I love it.
Not as much as I love him. And it's nothing compared to real Army life (although I've never had the luxury of living on a post and having a Army family).

The reality of my life is becoming more and more clear. If this is the life Al wants to have, I will continue to support and love him. I will whole-heartedly embrace that lifestyle. And I will make a damn good Army wife. The farther we get through this deployment and through his Army career, the less I want this forever. I am proud. I am patriotic. But I want to have a career and a family and I don't want my whole life dictated by a military.

I am on board with whatever life I am blessed enough to have. I am so happy to have the relationship that I do and I am equally proud of him and all he does. I know that whatever life we choose together, it will be a good one whether the Army is a part of it or not.
In the meantime, I will live vicariously through the sappy, comedic and unbearably addictive Lifetime show.


1 comment:

Mel said...

After watching it, I am so excited for this season! It is going to be so much fun!