Monday, April 19, 2010

A Great Man

Early August. Boots on the ground in El Paso. Unofficially, of course.
So, imagine my surprise today when Al came to me about volunteering to stay later.
Yes, you heard me. He wants to volunteer to stay behind and make sure all the loose ends get tied up.

I have to give him credit for coming to me and discussing it, as though it was a decision we should make together (although it really wasn't). He already knew he was going to do it. Still, out of respect, he explained that he wanted to stay two extra weeks after his unit to make sure everything was squared away before he headed back himself.

It's only two weeks. But, as any mil-spouse or SO knows, two weeks is a REALLY long time in Army world. It's about as long as forever. He reassured me that this extension would still have him home to Minnesota for the same block leave either way. The downside: I would miss the homecoming ceremony and likely not get to greet him in EP at all (being that classes would be starting that week.)

After I explained all my selfish reasons for wanting him home (NOW, not later; out of the question) and wanting to be a part of the ceremony (I like the parade and formality, not to mention the hugs and tears), he explained his side.

They were coming home early. Great for everyone involved, but it meant that a large handful of guys in his unit had not been granted mid-leave (also known as R&R) to go home and see their families. Many of them hadn't seen their families since November when they left. Al was granted mid-leave early on, so he'd already been home to see us.
He wanted to stay behind so the guys in his unit who hadn't seen their families, especially those with kids, wouldn't have to. He said he would hope some of the young, single guys would step up down the road and return the favor.
But for now, it was his turn to do that for them.

Am I with a great man, or what? Amazing.
Needless-to-say, his argument kicked my selfish argument's ass and he will be volunteering to stay behind. I will have to wait just a little longer, but I couldn't ask for a better reason why.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a good and generous fellow you've got there. He's a keeper.