Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 5: My Definition of Love

You can take all the love songs in the world:
"love lifts us up where we belong"
"all you need is love"
"I was made for loving you baby"
And so on, and so forth.

But what none of those songs do is really encompass what love is.
To me, love is respect . It's trust and communication. It's hard work.
Love is family and support; it's a verb more then anything I know.
Did I mention that it takes work?

I think so many people confuse lust and romance with love. Love has nothing to do with the knot in your stomach or the butterflies you feel when "he/she" walks into the room. It's not about the flowers and feel-good poems. It's not even about compatibility and friendship.

It's about being willing, for that person, to put yourself on the line. To put everything you are on the table and work every day at giving that person the best you have. Love is the best thing you can do for someone and should be done regardless of what is being received.

In the bible, God uses "agape" to describe the eternal, selfless love that God has for all people. Regardless of your beliefs on religion, if we all look at love as a working, selfless, giving thing, I think we'd all be a little better off.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

At the engagement class OccDoc and I went to about 3 years ago they talked about making a choice to love. I actually ended my wedding vows, "and through hardships or blessings I choose to love you more every day." I could not agree with you more.

LaDonna Rae said...

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN...people think that LOVE is all the "good/ fun" stuff...Love hurts and it takes hard work. It what happens when it gets "rough" and the fun wears off that really matters...you are right on target. What I am continually learning is LOVE is spoken in action and not just words. That LOVE happens even when life is hard, unkind and unfair. THAT true LOVE, LOVES when there is nothing to be gained. True LOVE has no alternative motive. LOVE is 1 COR 13.

Julie said...

Well said! LOVE YOU!!!!

Nicole said...

Love this, so very very true!