Monday, May 31, 2010

A Day to Remember by Doing

I know that the blog world - especially with all my incredibly amazing mil-so's out there - will be inundated with Memorial Day posts, photos and inspiring words. Mine will be no different.
The way I see it, as soon as we forget those who fight for all the things we have, we no longer have them, nor do we deserve them.
Most people get Memorial Day off of work. Many spend the day with their friends and family, grilling outside, playing in the sun, watching fireworks and other events of celebration.
This really seems backwards to me. Shouldn't we be working if the troops are working?
It pains me to think of all our Veterans, and our currently serving troops who are overseas right now, getting up today, like they do every morning, to do their job once again. They don't get today off. They don't ask for it, complain about it, or even take one second to question the fact that they are working while the rest of us are celebrating.
I've really thought about this a lot over the past couple of days. Instead of the country having a day off to honor those who have fought and died for our freedoms, why don't we instead have every single American across the nation pick up their hammer, their pen, their broom, or even their money and give SOMETHING to THEM. Tell those Veterans to sit down, take the day off, and WE will work for YOU.
So, my plan today, instead of hitting the beach or heading to the BBQ at my friend's house, is to head down to my local VA office and volunteer my time. Whether it's stacking shelves, helping Veterans with basics tasks in their homes, or simply allowing them to eat a full meal and sleep in a warm bed for another night, I'm going to be a part of it.
Today, I'm not taking off of work.
Today, I am remembering those who have served our country with bravery, selflessness, courage and honor.
Today, I am remembering our Veterans with a little service of my own.
Hopefully, my small act will show you just how thankful I truly am.
THANK YOU!

**All images found online with basic Google image search, I have no rights to any above images

1 comment:

trooppetrie said...

thank you, so many people forget what memorial day really is. I think being a military wife keeps us grounded