Yes, I bought it for him. He requested it.
They did something different this month, putting it in 3-D and they even include the glasses when you purchase the issue. I am actually incredibly intrigued by what the 3-D centerfold will look like and since I bought it on Tuesday I've been extremely tempted to open it.
But I'm not going to.
Not because it bothers me. Rather because Al asked me to wait until he got home so we could look at it together. I intended on sending it to him (Hell...it's lonely over there.) Instead, I am following his request and keeping it safely in the wrapping until he comes home to un-wrap it with me.
Problem is, now I'm stuck as I'm putting together a care package. Al doesn't really eat a lot of snacks. He's not a big junk food guy and the few snacks he does like he already gets from my mother on a regular basis.
I bought a book to send him, which I returned because he'd already read it. Then I bought the magazine (per his request, remember) and am told to leave it here. That leaves me with a care package containing a card, some photographs, and...yep...nothing else.
The last factor I have to consider is budget. I don't have a lot of money and he'd prefer me not to spend any. Which means making something myself is the best bet.
So, my question to all my lovely readers who have gone through deployments (or are currently going through one) and have an equally IMPOSSIBLE man to send stuff to...
What would you send? Any clever or creative ideas? Any cost-effective ones?
1 comment:
This totally depends on the type of guy your man is, but it's been my experience that when you're far away from home in a stark landscape and you see a lot of ugliness around you, it's nice to have something to remind you that there is beauty in the world...and that's why I sent a soldier friend of mine a book of poetry. Nothing to high-brow or fancy-schmancy, but just one of those compilation books that has a lot of well-known poets in it. If you can't see beauty around you, at least you can see it in words? And maybe reading one or two would help him unwind at night? Or maybe you could send a small postcard with some type of artwork on it?
Post a Comment