I have a lot of updating to do. Please bear with me for an array of information, with a range of emotion.
I'll start with the good...
I OFFICIALLY finished my first year of law school yesterday. As a reward my girlfriend Linus and I jumped in a car and drove a few hours north to see my Home Free boys in concert and spend the night in a hotel, drinking and celebrating. We had a good time.
What was NOT a good time was the call I got on the drive up there. Al was asked to stay back with another troop while his returns home as planned. We're still not sure if it's 2 weeks or 2 months or what it all really means. It is the Army, after all.
What I do know is that it totally sucks.
We (with naive hope of the plans being somewhat solidified) made plans for the month of August, including a Twins game for my birthday. Now, we will have to change some things around; I'll probably be back in school as opposed to enjoying summer break; and well, it's just that much longer before we see each other. And it really sucks.
I did my duty as a mil-SO and stayed calm and understanding.
I reacted less to the news then he did, which is certainly rare. Al was pissed. Rightfully so.
It's another one of those things we sign up for. Waiting. Hurrying-up and waiting some more.
Then there are some tears and usually more waiting.
Just when I want to stomp my feet and throw a standard issue military SO temper tantrum, I am reminded of the beauty of our military and our country. I am also reminded that he's still going to wake up tomorrow, call me again and we're going to make it.
And it could be worse...
There is that call, that none of us want to receive;
telling us the news that none of us want to hear.
My fellow-blogger, A Little Pink in a World of Camo, recently lost her husband. They have a girl less than one-year-old. She was brave enough to share on her blog a beautiful video of her husband and his home-coming.
Please watch. Be warned that it is sad.
In the same way that everything in the military is, it is also serene, inspiring and hopeful.
Stay tuned for a post tonight on what it means to me to be a military spouse (or girlfriend, in my case.) I am writing this post as part of a military spouse writing contest, which I will provide details on later.
2 comments:
Aw! I hate those moments! But at least you will get some more schooling out of the way, which is always a good thing!
The little pink link did not work for me :(
Post a Comment