My mother came over last night and taught me how to use a sewing machine. I'm domestically handicapped, but I need some new covers for some throw pillows in my bedroom. The ugly peach color just doesn't go with the red and brown decor so they've been sitting in a box for almost a year. I've had the fabric almost as long.
She left the machine here so I can take care of it at my leisure, since I have to really, REALLY be in the mood to tackle a project like that. Instead, she raided my closet for summer clothes to wear on her upcoming trip and we did pedicures and played Phase 10. It was a wonderful girls-night at home with my mom, complete with wine and Jimmy Johns.
I made her breakfast this morning and we chatted over coffee and it made me realize how lonely my apartment is with just me. I definitely miss having a roommate for that reason. I don't however miss the drama and the "mess" that came along with it.
(I have an update on that story, which I will save for a time when I'm not steaming about it!)
Anyway, I think I'm definitely going to have more "mom-dates" going forward because it was simply delightful!
Then, I went to the Twins game today! My girlfriend's parents have season tickets and weren't going to make today's game, so she invited two of us to go with her. I will ALWAYS jump at the chance to see a baseball game and while it was pretty cloudy all day, it was a beautiful temp and we had excellent seats. We lost the game, but I still had an enjoyable time with the girls, drinking beer, eating nachos and chattin' it up!
I'm off to put the finishing touches on my care package for Al - the last one I'll be able to send. I took pictures so I will post them once I've confirmed he received the package.
(He does read the blog so I wouldn't want to give away the surprise!)
One final note: go check me out on Musings of An Army Wife. I won a Big Dipper Wax Works candle in her contest! She's got an interesting life and perspective so reading her blog is enjoyable every time!
8 comments:
Congrats on winning! I do love reading her blog. She has a way with words.
By the way, after I read the words "Phase Ten", I couldn't focus on anything else. I never seem to win at that game. In fact, I tend to do the worst out of everyone playing. It's truly a game of luck, but I guess I have some terrible luck!
I saw the word "dates" and got really excited! I thought you had a date for Al to come home. LOL!
I just recently took up sewing and can't wait to read about your adventure into sewing! =)
I'm glad you had a good weekend, and I freaking love Phase10. I actually made my roommates play right after reading this.
Awesome that you are learning to sew. I "think" I can sew and always start projects and then realize just how much I DON'T know, ha ha, so I tend to have a lot of half-started projects. Oh well - one of these days! Glad you had a great time with your mom! Phase 10 is ALWAYS fabulous - my girlfriends and I brought it with to the hospital to play while I was in labor with L (Max wasn't able to be there for her birth either - darn military!)!
I LOVE Mom dates! My mom comes out twice a year to play. I'm glad you had a good time!
How fun!!
Aww yay, mom dates are always great! And apparently I'm the only person who hasn't heard of Phase 10! lol, maybe I'll have to check it out. Also I'm sorry to hear about your crummy room mate. That really is the worst, and I hope it all works out. :)
Thanks for the shout out!!! You rock!! I need to learn sewing too....im so jealous!
Post a Comment