Saturday, June 26, 2010

What I'm Wondering Today...Late Edition

So, I'm a little late. All the exciting events of yesterday threw me off my game. Still, the link-up will only be open until Sunday at midnight, so link-up immediately!
This week, all the questions are in honor of the lovely storm we had last night.
1. Have you ever seen a tornado/hurricane/funnel cloud in person?
2. Have you ever lost power? Tell the story.
3a. Have you ever been caught in a storm while driving?
3b. Have you ever driven TO the storm on purpose?
4. What do you normally do when a storm hits?
5. What's the craziest thing you've done in a storm?

My Answers:
1. Yes, a handful of times I have seen both funnel clouds and tornadoes. That's the worst of the weather we get in Minnesota since everything here is so flat and we're not by an ocean.
2. A handful of times. Never anything TOO bad. I've been without power for a couple hours here and there. Last night, the city that Al's family lives in got hit hard and they've been without power now for over 12 hours. Because they're so far out of the city, they were told it would be another 12 before a truck would be able to come out. Luckily, the farm has a generator, so all the siblings and their kids are camping out there.
3a. The worst was once in college when I was driving home (about a 2 hour drive) and about half-way a hail storm hit. I'd had my baby (car) for less then 2 years so I was very protective. I drove to the nearest bridge and parked underneath. I sat on top of my car and watch the hail bounce off the road. Once the hail stopped I kept driving, although it was extremely difficult to see and the rain was coming down hard.
That doesn't even take into consideration all the times we drive in the snow - we are Minnesotans after all! I've driven in a couple really, really bad blizzards. It's funny, I never think of that as severe weather. Ha ha.
3b. No, but I have grabbed a cocktail and sat on the covered deck to watch lightening storms. Only during thunderstorms am I brave enough to try that, I don't mess with tornadoes.
4. As a kid (and now that I'm on my own), I typically lived in apartments or small townhomes with no basement. In my current place, I have to sit in the closet because it's under the stairs and the only room with no windows. I remember in school when we'd have to all huddle together in the hallways with our heads down until the bad weather passed.
5. I used to be a real pansy when it came to storms so I can't say I've done anything too crazy. I know there have been a handful of times that we've finished boating or golfing before going in, only to realize that lightening hit within half a mile from us.

{By the way: this is one of the most beautiful mornings we've had yet this summer. Everything is green and fresh; the sun is shining and it's a clear, warm morning. I might drink my coffee on the front stoop just to enjoy the aftermath of last night's storm.}

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man tornadoes are scary!! I love thunder and lightning storms though :)