Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer School

Remember when we were younger and that term was terrifying? Oh No! What if I have to be in school during the summer? My precious summer away from that building of hell...
(Ok, so if I'm brutally honest I would confess that I really enjoyed school - Not the BS cliques, drama-filled clubs, and the combination of snotty rich kids and low-income druggies. I was blissfully unpopular and smack in the middle of those groups. And I LOVED learning. I really did.)
Still, I didn't want to give MY hard-earned summer up for class. And luckily, you usually only had to if you did something wrong or got a bad grade. I never did.

Now that I am in law school, I like the idea of summer school. I'd rather take a class during the shortened summer term and free up some extra time during the year. I still have plenty of time to enjoy the day, get other things done and relax a bit. And I also have a light enough schedule that I can work AND still do all those things. It's nice to have that flexibility and summer school will allow my fall to not be so extremely busy.

But this class I'm taking...Oh lord. It is so incredibly boring. Attempting to motivate myself to even go to class is excruciating, let alone reading the daily 40-pg. assignment.
Yes, 40 pages every day.
It's not that the topic is boring. It's actually quite the opposite. And the professor has a good sense of humor (except for proudly announcing to the class on day 2 that we were in fact NOT a "real city". Then continued by saying the Yankees were a "real" baseball team, the Twins were just wannabes. Needless to say, I wanted NONE of that!)
BUT, I can't for the life of me get motivated for this class. I still go and I still read (sometimes) because I need this class for a portion of the bar exam. I do it begrudgingly, but I do it.

The rest of the time, when I'm not in the classroom or studying, I'll enjoy my summer!
(And keep hoping Al makes it home to enjoy some of it...)

7 comments:

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I'm taking three summer classes. I didn't have a choice, since my school goes year round. It isn't that bad. I just go on the designated dates, which will be Friday 4-9 and Saturday 9-4. I'm halfway finished with my first summer class.

Jennifer said...

I'm taking summer classes too, and I love them. I think I'd probably have a hard time motivating myself to actually go to class in the summer though; my classes are online so that makes it easier. Also reading 40 pages a day sounds CRAZY to me, good luck girl!

Kaylee said...

When I took a summer class a few years ago, I chose a sweet class, so I was always excited to go to it (although the reading was a bit tough to do every single night when the weather was so fabulous out!)! And I'm hoping your man gets back to enjoy some of the summer with you too!!!

Jordan Cole said...

I took summer classes last summer and HATED it, told myself I was NEVER doing that again...what do I do, Summer classes again this summer and I don't even really need them. I am a dummy

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

I took a summer class last year too when I was pregnant and I'll agree with you, I loved it. The only exception was on those days when I knew my friends had plans. But other than that I felt motivated and good about myself for pushing my education harder. Good luck pushing through this one, girl.

Unknown said...

Good luck, you're incredible!!

Star Spangled said...

LOL! Blissfully unpopular! YOU ARE ME!