When I'm down in the dumps, like most women, I shop. It's empowering to buy something new, usually something that makes me feel beautiful, successful or just plain happy. It's an endorphin-releasing event that doctors say is similar to the endorphins released during exercise. It can be a stress-reliever, a healing dose or even just a bump in self-esteem. Either way, shopping is good for you.
It's not good for you when you're trying to save money. Or if you don't have the money you're spending. In fact, many women get the "happy-high" from shopping immediately followed by feelings of guilt and regret for putting something on a credit card or spending their rent money on a new pair of shoes.
I am not worried about getting my bills paid. But as ya'll know I'm working on a "money-makeover" which is more important to me then a quick-fix shopping spree. Still, I like shopping. I like the fun and the feel-good.
So in order to preserve my ultimate goals of cutting down my spending and working towards a savings plan, I have figured out some other ways of "shopping" that gives me the excitement and joys of shopping without all the fuss (and without spending any actual money).
1. Swagbucks.com - I know that the lovely Staci at Ramblings of a Military Wife has mentioned this before (which is actually where I got the idea.) Swagbucks, allows you to shop and earn points; take surveys and earn points; search like you would in Google and earn points. All of these points add up to enough to buy various things in their store. There are some excellent things you can "purchase." I personally am working up towards an Amazon or Barnes n' Noble gift card so I can buy some more books.
2. Online Shopping - Of course this only works if you DON'T actually buy the stuff, but I've found it pretty easy to walk away. One of my favorite is H&M because you can create your own looks in the Fashion Studio. It's basically paper dolls for grown-ups and if you did need an outfit for a particular event, you can "try it on" first. This is even better because you can change the model to your body type. (Who has the body of those waifs anyway!?)
3. Real Estate Shopping - This can be done in real life if your city has a Parade of Homes or equivalent home event during the summer. Otherwise, there is a website here. The website lets you virtually tour if you're interested in houses in other areas AND it shows floor plans, etc. I LOVE looking at real estate because some day I want to buy/build my dream house and it makes me happy to think of saving for that ideal.
And finally...
4. Sweepstakes - Entering give-aways on sites like Cosmo.com feels like shopping but doesn't cost you anything. Of course, the odds are you won't win (I never do!) but it's still a nice opportunity. There are many other sites (fashion magazines, news sites, your local radio station and even TV channels) that do giveaways. You might even score a new movie or concert tickets.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your kind words and support yesterday over my Army-Anger. I appreciate how wonderful you all are.
Quick reminder: the "What I'm Wondering Today" link-up is open until Monday. Link-up so we can get to know you better and hop over to some of the others and learn more about them.
6 comments:
I'm totally with you on the money thing!
When I always bought something, I was happy, and then felt guilty afterwards. Now, that I have a limited income, I'm going to have to budget. It almost makes me want to get a job (yikes!), so I can buy a bunch of stuff. Maybe getting a job won't be that bad?
these are some great ideas! i just got myself on swagbucks the other day and think it's a great idea. i am saving up for something to use them all on too (dunno what yet, ha ha!).
and entering contests - good idea! i love entering contests, although i never win either!
I just started Swagbucks today!! Man we're on the same page :)
Since I'm on a limited income my purchases have become a lot more valuable than they once were. When I have to save up for a $25 hand cream I value it so much more! I'm going to check out the swagbucks. Thanks!
Swagbucks? I've heard about this, but always thought it was a scam...I gotta go check this out!
Good ideas! I love Swagbucks! I donated most of mine to the Nashville Flood Relief, but I am also working toward Amazon giftcards!
Post a Comment