Friday, June 25, 2010

Recipe

It's official ladies, I am a cook. My culinary skills still have not expanded beyond the basics, but I am so excited for the things I've learned recently. I wanted to use my crock pot and see if I could get ONE of the recipes for my 101 in 1001 list. I've never really made a broth and I knew I wasn't going to make one from stock.
The only part I actually had a recipe for was the broth. I had chicken bouillon and wanted to make sure I did that part right or it would end up being more of a vegetable salad.
I even had to evaporate my only milk on the stove top since I didn't have any cans!
Are you proud yet?

The rest of it was a self-created recipe. I didn't have onions or celery or carrots like many soups call for, so I made my own.
Here is the recipe:

Broth:
4 c. water
1 c. evaporated milk
1 tbsp. bouillon granules
1/4 c. butter

Soup:
4 red potatoes, cut into chunks (peel if desired - I didn't and really like the results)
1 can corn niblets
1/2 can black beans
2 cubes of Velveeta

Steps:
Stir broth ingredients together in a saucepan (if you have to evaporate your own milk, do so in a separate pan and add the ingredients to it once the milk is the proper consistency.)
Cut potatoes in chunks and put in crock. Add corn and beans to crock.
Add broth to the crock pot and stir. Add Velveeta chunks and stir again.
Let it sit on low heat for 6 hours, stirring regularly.
Season to taste - but I used a few pinches of pepper only.

Feeds about 4, but since it's a pretty light soup it's not a meal in itself and would more likely serve 2 with kids. I also chose to sprinkle a little extra cheese on top of mine, but my friend did not. I am a cheese fanatic!

Hope you all enjoy my experiment!

{p.s. I have two great things going on today. ONE. I have another interview to be a receptionist at a law firm. TWO. I am meeting the lovely Kaylee at Small Wonders and her beautiful little girl L. We are going to walk around my great neighborhood and get lunch. I will update you on these things later.}

9 comments:

ThinkFeminist said...

So glad, you are having a good head start with the cooking! Now that you can make some soup, i'd like to see a post on you making Chicken Teriyaki and some nice side dish. But for now, i;ll give you and A-, how about that.

Goodluck on the interview...wish I could take a walk with you (sniffs)

Musings Of An Army Wife

Anonymous said...

So jealous you get to meet blog friends! =) Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

Your $25 Amazon gift card should be in your email inbox!

ines said...

ps. thanks for the using the button!

ines said...

I have yet to use my crockpot...i used it once and we never ate the food made, not because it was bad but because i miscalculated the time and it was taking FOREVER!

Unknown said...

MMM yummy!

Goodnight moon said...

Gesh...you just reminded me that I'm going to have to start cooking again once my Fox comes home. BLECK!!!!!

BTW...I grabbed your button for my blogroll!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, I'm going to have to learn to cook at some point. I'm glad that you are starting out! It sounds good!

Ashley said...

Mmm, that sounds good. I may have to write this in the menu plan with some grilled cheese!

So, I've been in the "what to write?" vacation so I've been posting a lot of recipe blogs as of late. There are a few simple ones posted if you want to try them :)