Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pressure

{**This was supposed to post yesterday, but Blogger was giving me fits...Hopefully, it won't throw off my blogging for the rest of the weekend.**}

Of course, I took no pictures of my time in Texas. It's mostly because I spent most of the time curled up on the couch with Al doing absolutely nothing. We did make some delicious meals (like broccoli & chicken casserole and Jiffy pumpkin cheesecake bars) and watched football and the World Series games, but really we just sat around. I didn't even wear the heels I brought for a "special occasion."

Honestly, though, I wouldn't trade the weekend I had for one million special occasions. It was easily one of the best weekends I've had - and we spent it sitting on the couch. Or in bed.
It is no secret that one of our "plans" for the weekend was baby-making. I don't really think details are necessary (or lady-like,) but I can tell you that we did our part as much as we could. It might happen, it might not. We'll have to wait and see.

(Do you buy into my nonchalance? I am trying to carry on with my life and not think about the possibility of being pregnant. It may sound silly, but I'm afraid to want it too much. I'm afraid that I will put too much pressure on myself or my body to produce results and even though stress won't necessarily harm my chances, it certainly can't help.)

In the meantime, we are both taking small steps (or big ones, depending on how you look at it) towards being healthier people. You may recall that we are were both smokers. Him, moreso than me. I decided to quit cold-turkey when I went off birth control back in August. We knew it would be much harder for him to quit, so I gave him his space to quit in terms that worked for him. He told me that if I left him alone, he would be smoke-free by the time I visited in October.

And he was. I am so proud of him. He has been smoking most of his life and was up to smoking half a pack each day. When I was there this weekend, he didn't even have a pack in his possession. Although, he did have a cigarette when I was there, he has made so much progress without a patch, or gum or any other quitting aid. His next step will be to go to the doctor and get something to help him quit 100%.

The fact that he worked so hard at quitting, during a time where he is under extreme stress at work, makes me so proud. I know how hard it was for me, and I'm sure it was exponentially harder for him. I can only attribute his effort to how much he wants to be a father.

Talk about pressure...

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Congrats on quitting, and to your hubby too!! I hope "things" work out for you both!!!

PS- I nominated you for an award!!!
www.mandmsquared.blogspot.com

Chloe said...

Congrats to both you and your husband on trying to quit smoking! That is no easy feat and can be such a hard addiction to break. I firmly believe that addictions can never be fully cured, only managed--and it sounds like both of you are well on your way. That's beyond awesome.

Best of luck to you and your husband with the baby thing, too--definitely sending some positive thoughts your way for it!