Friday, February 10, 2012

Advice for Being Safe

Before I get into today's topic, I wanted to chime in on "the post" that currently has everyone in a tizzy. I think since the backlash has started, she has edited down the post (removing some of the most offensive commentary) and she has increased in followers. I let you draw your own inferences there.

{Army Wife 101's take (to which I commented briefly.) Rather than use this space to tell you all the reasons I think she is nuts, I am going to save my breath. We're likely not going to change her mind and I think she is entitled to her opinions.}

 For me, the bottom line is: this life is damn hard enough without making enemies within the one group of people you need the most. 
~~o~~
On to what this post is really about...

Yesterday, on my way to school, I got an email from my boss saying she had been attacked. It was a snatch-and-grab mugging and when she tried to hang on to her purse, he dragged her to the ground. She suffered only minor cuts and bruises (Thank God!) and was mostly just scared. Luckily, there was a nearby witness and the police responded immediately.

The scary part: this happened one block from my school in broad daylight. It was around lunch time and she had parked in the neighborhood on her way to a school training. My first year of law school, I live two blocks from where this happened and walked down that street everyday. My school is located in a nice neighborhood, on a busy street, surrounded by churches. I kid you not, there are at least 6 churches within a block from my school. About 5 blocks south is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city, which is clearly significant.

I have since been telling every woman I know to be hyper-alert and as safe as possible around school (and everywhere, frankly.) I figured that I would share this with you, too, since I think they are tips that can help women in general be safer at all times.

Women's Safety Plan: 

1. Always be aware of your surroundings. Don't be talking or texting on your cell. Don't listen to music if you're out for a run/walk. Don't be distracted by anything. You should always assess your surroundings - look and listen. This will not only protect you, but also alert an offender that you are not a victim. Look people in the eye; walk with purpose; and notice safe escape routes or public places to enter.

2. Do not fight for your "things." It is a natural instinct to hang on to your purse or bag when someone tries to grab it. We are possessive of our belongings, because they are so personal. However, fighting over the purse is what most often causes injury.
As Al says: "Your things are replaceable, you are not."

3. If you do have to walk somewhere, don't do it alone. Take a buddy with you and then give them a ride back to their car or your work/school/house/wherever. If you are in a place where a security escort is available, use it! 

4. Carrying mace, pepper spray or a taser is fine, if it will make you more comfortable. Do not rely on using it, however. Often times, you will not have the time, or the wherewithal to reach for it in defense. It is more likely, it will be just late enough to be used against you instead. It is better to know one or two combative tactics that will incapacitate an offender long enough for you to escape without doing major harm.
Oh, and if you do carry something, carry it separate from your purse (like a pocket or keychain.) 

I hope these tips will help prevent attacks like this, or at least, help make it better if an attack occurs. Hyper-awareness is your best friend. Please be careful out there!

3 comments:

I'll Love You Forever said...

Wow, how scary! Poor boss, I would be freaked out. Love your tips for being prepared :)

Unknown said...

How scary!!! So glad she's okay and the police were able to help.

JG said...

I'm glad she's okay! Great advice (all around :))