Monday, August 22, 2011

The Fever: TMI Alert

I have the fever.
I'm not talking allergies, sickness or the John Travolta persuasion.
I'm talking the tiny toes, small clothes and little nose variety.
Yes. Babies.

I've wanted to be a mother since the day I was born (OK, it was probably more like when I was 5 and my sister rolled around and I realize how "cool" babies were.) Once I found my wonderful husband, realized he also wanted kids and embarked on our forever together, the spark turned into a burning desire to have children.

Of course, there were two primary obstacles before there was any realistic hope of getting pregnant: the long-distance thing and my schooling. Now that we've spent a summer together, making our marriage the priority, we can check the first one off the list. As for school, I have 9 months left. Hmm...what else takes 9 months?

Well, it takes 10-ish months, plus time to actually "make babies" (or what Al calls, the fun part.) But regardless of the math-factor, it still adds up to be a pretty do-able calendar. Obviously, we can't actually do the "fun part" until October when I visit him, or Christmas when he's home for a bit, and even that's banking on the fact that we would have an easy go at it.

I know my mother's history and that miscarriages can be hereditary. I also know so many beloved women that have had one hell of a time dealing with infertility and other pregnancy struggles. I am heart-broken for them. And I'm realistic that it could happen that way for me too.

But now we're on a timeline that works for us (sort of - if we did get pregnant immediately, it would deliver after graduation, but it could fall sometime in the moving to Colorado, taking the bar, looking for a job mess - but everyone says there is no "perfect time" so I'm not really going to hold out for one.) We are also financially stable and can afford to have a child at this time. So, I guess the time is now?

I've stopped smoking. I stopped taking the pill so I can regulate my cycle. I am taking a women's multi-vitamin including folic acid and other necessary pre-natals. Al is also working on quitting smoking and we're both focusing on staying in shape and eating healthy. And, like any true type-A woman, I am reading a lot of books, blogs, magazines and other sources on pregnancy.

We won't be "actively trying" to conceive. I won't be mapping out my fertility or my cycles.
But we are not preventing it either. Al says we're "letting the baby cards fall as they may."
Or - as a dear friends' boyfriend called it - we're taking the goalie out of the game.
And if we're lucky (or blessed) then perhaps we can actually score a goal.
(OK, that analogy kind of sucks!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's great you guys are "letting the cards fall!" I've had the fever for a while now since people are getting pregnant and having babies around this time but I know we can't afford it right now. Good luck with "the fun part!" :)

Anonymous said...

Haha Andy is psyched he got a mention on your blog. Pullin the goalie... :)

Jessica said...

I may have squealed out loud! I cannot wait for the day that I get the great news!

Samantha said...

I got the fever too. When hubs returns from deployment we'll be "pulling the goalie" and letting the cards fall also. :)

Maybe we can be prego buddies. haaha

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good luck in the coming months and I'll send baby dust your way :)

Matt and I are thinking the same thing.. during my last semester of law-school ish :)

Radiant Readhead said...

I am so excited for you guys!! This is a great step! I am excite to follow this journey of yours.

Sounds like you have a great planned laid out! lol...but of course you know what they say "the quickest way to make God laugh is make plans!" HAHA and I am just warning you from experience with TWO pregnancies while going to school....it STINKS! The first trimester stunk cause i was vomiting almost the whole 13 weeks, and then the third was hard to get around campus! lol. i took online classes after that:-) But i soooo hope it happens FAST for you guys...with no problems!

JG said...

Well you know I'm all over this post. :) That's my attitude as well. Once we get on the same page and decide the time is right, I don't want to make it clinical or mechanical. Just let what happens, happen, and be blessed.

Kaylee said...

Hehehe! You crack me up! I like that you are just letting things happen - I'd be excited to hear about a little Mel/Al baby :)

Jill Schrader said...

When the fever strikes, the only cure is to give in! Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Yay, I'm so excited for you!