We got up early on Friday morning and flew to D.C. We arrived around lunch time and checked into our hotel before hitting the city to check out the capitol and the Supreme Court building. That night was the Welcome Dinner at AU Washington College of Law. It was great to meet the other schools with competitors and hear the speakers who started the program.
Saturday was the first day of competition and both of out students did very well. Mainesha actually did extremely well and made it to the semi-finals, which is saying an awful lot since so many students were excellent! On Sunday, she competed in the semi-final round and again did well. She hadn't been feeling well and did not make it to the finals, but again the competition was fierce. I was so proud of both of them for their hard work and courage!
Sunday, we spent the rest of the day running around the city checking out the sites and monuments. David insisted we stop at a place called Ben's Chili Bowl, which has "the best chili dogs in D.C." According to a sign on the door: "People who eat free: President Obama & Family and Bill Cosby. And no one else!" Let's just say that even though I had to pay for it, it was delicious! David was so happy to find it - actually, he was basically beaming the whole weekend. He had never been outside of Minnesota so everything from the airplane to the subway to the gas prices were a brand new experience and he had his camera going the entire time.
All in all, it was a great weekend and even though I was exhausted and I hurt my foot, I had a wonderful time. The students were excellent, my co-coach was a great buddy and travel companion and, well, D.C. is always a fun place to be!
Now it's back to the grind. Less than 30 days to go!
And now for some pictures...
The Capitol
China Town
MLK Memorial (Brand new!)
I got to meet up for lunch with Reina - We had so much fun!
Supreme Court
Ben's Chili Bowl - the best chili dog in the city! Even the President says so!


1 comment:
It might be the PMS, might be that DC has my boo, or that I wished I could have played with you and Reina...but I might have just teared up a bit reading this.
Post a Comment