Today, all around the country, people are heading to their nearby polling station to vote. Or perhaps you voted by mail or by absentee (in which case, let's hope your state didn't lose or "forget" about your ballots!) Either way, voting is a vital part of our country's system. It allows the average citizen to speak up and change our country.
This particular election, we are voting to keep or change our president. The person who directs the economy, our foreign policy, our jobs, and our social programs. He is also our commander-in-chief - my husband's "boss." For any and all of these reasons, it is vitally important that you take 30 minutes out of your day to hit the polls and speak your piece. Or peace.
I also want to encourage you to read up on the local candidates. It is important to make informed decisions on your school board, county positions, judges, police, etc... AND to really read about any state or county laws that you are asked to vote on. I know many states have marriage amendments on the ballot and counties often ask for their community to vote on school district changes, and money allocations for fire, police, etc...My state (Colorado) has an amendment regarding the legalization of marijuana.
These things are important too! How often do you and I get the chance to say, "I don't agree with that" or "yes! I support that change!" Well, here's your chance to make change beyond the representatives who serve on our behalf but in actually decided the laws of your county and state - and actually deciding how your tax dollars are going to be spent.
It doesn't get better than that!
So please don't walk in to your polling place and check the box for president and walk away. Really look at the other ballot items and make a decision accordingly! Speak up - and do so by voting!


No comments:
Post a Comment