Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Holiday" of Love

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I'm not a fan of over-hyped and unnecessary "holidays" and the red-puffy-paint-hearts on damn-near everything just makes me want to gag. As a kid, I hated passing out Valentines because they "made" you give them to everyone so no one felt left out and in college I remember scrambling to find a date "'cause no one wants to be alone on Valentine's Day." And now that I'm happily married, I just don't see a reason to make one day any different than every other day when it comes to showing love and affection.

It has just never been a big deal to us, so we usually have a low-key dinner at home, followed by a little TV, and bed at our normal time. This year, though, our anniversary was a total bust (literally) and for some reason I am feeling abnormally interested in doing something for V-day. The 15th also happens to be our dating anniversary (holy four years, batman!) so it makes sense to do something a little different. 

Our first date (or what we base or "dating anniversary" on) was pretty low-key anyway. We spent the day hiking in the mountains and came back to our hotel, ordered-in pasta, sipped wine, and did a puzzle together. Looking back, my favorite part of the whole evening was sitting on the couch with an absolutely amazing guy and laughing my ass off all night. And we recreate that memory multiple times each week. 

Since I will be working until late on Valentine's Day and we're currently on a spending hiatus, I'm sure we'll do our typical meal-and-movie-at-home and be in bed by 9:30. I'm sure we'll have plenty of laughs and maybe even sneak in a few extra moments to love on each other. Really, what more could I ask for?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I feel the same way!! We aren't celebrating the "holiday" either. I just think it's pointless. I would rather sit at home in our pj's watching The Big Bang Theory on Thursday haha. :)