Thursday, May 23, 2013

A workout update

I have recently found that the key to developing and sticking to a workout routine is to not have one. It goes against everything I believe in to have no plan and no way to implement it. It feels so foreign to just spontaneously workout, with no specific goal in mind. 

But it's working for me. 

For the first time in a long time, I am working out regularly. I'm at the gym 3 days per week, coaching an additional 2, and walking the dog as many times per week as possible. When I'm at the gym, I just do whatever makes me happy that day, usually 40 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes of weights and 10 minutes of stretching. And it almost always ends with 10 minutes sweating in out in the steam-room = my favorite part! 

I've lost 10 pounds. I sleep better and I haven't been getting headaches, at all. 

But now I'm at an impasse. In order to see more results, I have to have a plan. I think I've made whatever progress I can with my haphazard workout style. If I want to tone my body and lose a little more weight, I'm going to have to develop a plan and stick to it. 

More cardio to shed pounds, more weights and muscle-specific training to tone-up.
And I need someone to motivate me, to keep me going, and to make me feel like I'm letting down more than myself if I give up. (It's easy to give myself excuses. It's difficult to tell someone else why you're bailing or giving less than 100%.) 

This week I am going to stick to my initial no-plan workouts and then create a plan for going forward. Perhaps I'll recruit a friend to keep me honest or even snatch Al a couple times per week to kick my ass (he's good at that!)

Here goes nothing, I guess...

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think you are doing great!